Well-planned and sustainably managed tourism can contribute to the environmental, social and economic health of destinations. In fact, the United Nations declared 2017 the International Year of Sustainable Tourism because of the industry’s ability to contribute to key Sustainable Development Goals.
The George Washington University’s Sustainable Tourism Destination Management program provides a strategic overview of responsible destination management along with practical applications. The certificate is designed for tourism professionals and career changers who want to advance their careers and take advantage of the increasing opportunities in the field. Participants will learn strategies and tools for recognizing and developing tourism products, creating visitor markets, minimizing the potentially negative effects of tourism and enhancing the sustainability of destinations so that they remain viable and attractive to visitors, and support their host communities.
What Can You Expect to Gain from the Program?
- Strategies to sustainably develop and manage tourism destinations
- Essential information on effective promotion
- Guidance on designing tourism policies and working with stakeholders
- Instruction on developing new tourism experiences and products
- An overview and introduction to key players in the field
- Skill sets that you can apply to your career right now
Is the Program Right for You?
Sustainable tourism destination management is an ideal program if you are:
- Working in the tourism industry and would like to deepen your understanding of sustainability
- Interested in joining the sustainable tourism industry
- Starting or changing your career
- Planning to start your own sustainable tourism business
Learn more about our course offerings and registration information here.
- Center for the Connected Consumer
- Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence (CFEE)
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER)
- Center for Latin American Issues (CLAI)
- Center for Real Estate & Urban Analysis (CREUA)
- European Union Research Center (EURC)
- Global Financial Literacy Excellence Center (GFLEC)
- The Growth Dialogue
- GW Investment Institute
- Institute for Brazilian Issues
- Institute for Corporate Responsibility
- Institute for Integrating Statistics in Decision Sciences
- International Institute of Tourism Studies
- Our Team
- Research & Consulting Services
- Flagship Initiatives
- Professional Certificate in Sustainable Tourism Destination Management
- Professional Certificate in Event Management
- Professional Certificate in Cultural Heritage Tourism
- Consulting Practicum
- Senior Research Scholars and Fellows
- Professional Services
- Korean Management Institute (KMI)
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052