Undergraduate Registration & Grading Policies

GWU Waitlist Policy 

Waitlist will open on the first day of registration and are removed once students can no longer add classes online for each semester. Please review the Registrar's webpage regarding the waitlist policies. 

Office of Academic Integrity

Visit the Office of Academic Integrity for information on the following:


Incomplete Grade Policy

Incomplete grades may be given to undergraduate students only if for reasons beyond the student’s control (such as medical or family emergency) s/he is unable to complete the final work of the course. Faculty should not assign an Incomplete grade if not asked by the student.

The student should request the Incomplete grade and the instructor should be informed about and approve the request before the date when grades must be reported. An Incomplete Contract should be signed by both the instructor and the student and submitted to the GWSB Advising Center, Duques 456. A student has a calendar year to finish the coursework for the class, and when completed a grade change form must be submitted to the Academic Advising office to update the grade.

An Incomplete grade should not be given if the following are true:

  • The student has not kept up with the class (struggled most if not all the semester) and has the majority of the coursework remaining for the class.
  • The student is not passing the course at the time the Incomplete grade contract is discussed – meaning their work prior to the discussion has been unsatisfactory in terms of coursework completed and attendance.
  • The student does not have adeqauate reasons/documentation for asking for an Incomplete.
  • The student would essentially need to re-take the course – students cannot “sit in” on the course in a future term.
  • If the faculty for the course will not be able to see the student through the remaining coursework or a representative from the department is willing to oversee the work.



If you have questions regarding whether an Incomplete grade is appropriate for a student, please contact the GWSB Undergraduate Advising Center.