Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Some think business is the problem. We think smarter business is the answer. By combining business and analytical skills with an ethical focus, we’re educating our MBA students on how to solve business problems that benefit their organizations as well as society.
Our MBA students are at the forefront of smarter business — business that considers its impact on the world as well as the bottom line. In addition to rigorous training in traditional business competencies, every one of our MBA programs is infused with ethical leadership, corporate citizenship and a global perspective. This is not only the direction business is headed, this is what we stand for.
- Learn About the MBA Experience at the GW School of Business
Nationally Centered, Globally Minded.
Our location is not just where we are — it shapes who we are. Our MBA programs are embedded in the center of Washington, D.C., where the private, public, and NGO sectors meet and interact. For our students, it means an extraordinary opportunity to be involved in current international and national debates, engage with prominent global leaders and business executives, and project a clear and informed voice as they move forward in their careers.
Other Schools Do International — Just Not Like This.
At the GW School of Business (GWSB), we are renowned not only for our international focus and hands-on experience in Consulting Abroad and Short-term abroad programs, but also for our emphasis on emerging markets — and our faculty’s connections within those markets. Our students come from across the globe, from Mexico to Serbia, to build their business acumen while helping develop local economies.
A Professionally and Culturally Diverse MBA Community.
Only in Washington, D.C. do so many students working in so many sectors — federal government, private business, nonprofit, military, international firms — come together and collaborate so well. Our students bring their unique work and life experiences to the table, making for dynamic and diverse teamwork. This is a “who’s-helping-who” — not a “who’s-better-than-who” — learning environment.
We Don't Believe in a One-Size-Fits-All Education.
At GWSB, our MBA programs are designed to meet the needs of today’s students and specialization demanded in today’s job market. Our Global MBA is perfect for students who wish immerse themselves in a full-time, on-campus program where they study alongside and travel abroad with a cohort of peers. Our Professional MBA program gives working professionals the flexibility to complete their degree within two to five years. Additionally, Professional MBA students can take all of their courses on campus or elect to take some via distance learning in our Online MBA program.
Our MBA programs also give students the ability to focus their studies on their areas of professional interest. Students in the Global MBA and Professional MBA programs can choose from up to 17 Graduate Certificates and 200-plus electives. And for healthcare professionals, we offer an Online Healthcare MBA focused on business practices in this rapidly changing industry.
- Read Our Mission Statement and Learning Goals
Our mission is to prepare business and community leaders for global success characterized by integrity.
The MBA curriculum at the GW School of Business places great emphasis on core values, providing students with a firm grounding in ethics and responsible leadership for a global economy. Our MBA programs also leverage the university's location in Washington, D.C., where the private, public, NGO and multilateral sectors intersect and interact.
The MBA curriculum is designed to achieve the following outcomes for our students:
- Analytical Thinking, Integrative Knowledge and Decision Making: Graduates of the MBA program will exhibit capability in critical thinking, the ability to simultaneously apply knowledge from multiple disciplines, and analytical skills for sound decision making using information, quantitative tools, and technology.
- Communications Skills: Graduates of the MBA program will demonstrate strong verbal and written communications skills as exemplified both in individual work and in team settings.
- Global Perspective: Graduates of the MBA program will demonstrate knowledge of, and the ability to adapt business strategies to the changes in the global economic and cultural environment.
- Ethical Decision Making: Graduates of the MBA program will demonstrate a sound understanding of ethical principles underlying decision making in business.
MBA program formats include:
- Global MBA*
- Accelerated MBA*
- STEM-designated MBAs
- Professional MBA (part-time)*
- MBA in Security Technology Transition*
- Online MBA (part-time)
- Online Healthcare MBA (part-time)
*STEM major available