What is Business Analytics?
Business analytics is the practice of transforming data into business insights to allow for better decision-making. By employing the latest tools, models and techniques, business analytics can help evaluate complex situations, consider all available options, predict outcomes and present critical risks for business decision-makers.
"INFORMS defines analytics as the scientific process of transforming data into insight for making better decisions. Analytics is seen as an end-to-end process, beginning with identifying the business problem to evaluating and drawing conclusions about the prescribed solution arrived at through the use of analytics tools and methodologies. Analytics professionals are skilled at this process.”
-INFORMS Certified Analytics Professional Handbook, 2016
What Can Business Analytics Do?
By using sophisticated data and quantitative analysis, business analytics is able to simplify decision making processes and achieve better outcomes throughout organizations’ value chains, whether they are government agencies or international corporations.
Harnessing the power of mathematical models, business analytics uses advanced tools and technologies to help each organization make the most of its data. The methods and models of analytics draw from disciplines including statistics, operations research, computer science, information systems, and others.
Business analytics allows professionals to take business intelligence and leverage it to the competitive advantage of the organization. Effective consulting skills are an essential aspect of the successful deployment of advanced business analytics solutions.
What's the GW Difference?
Launched in Fall 2013, GWSB’s MSBA program offers an innovative and rigorous academic methodology and outstanding vision. Our distinguished faculty helps students hone the effective consulting skills that are an essential aspect of the successful implementation of advanced business analytics solutions. Our program addresses the rapidly growing need for business analytics professionals, training graduates to harness the power of big data to make informed decisions and envision new possibilities for their organizations.
A MSBA From GWSB Offers Students Unrivaled Benefits
- A rigorous curriculum that emphasizes the study of Methods, Applications, Skills and Technology (MAST).
- An exceptional and dedicated faculty with industry experience and a first-hand understanding of business analytics’ evolving role in domestic and international organizations.
- Hands-on experience and exposure to the best analytics tools and software, including emphasis on the SAS tools suite, R Programming, Python, SQL, no-SQL, Tableau, and other current and trending technologies.
- An industry-related practicum that provides real-world problem solving situations with partner organizations.
- A large alumni network and fellow classmates drawn from a talented pool of applicants.
- Proximity to government and industry institutions such as the U.S. Department of State, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, and many other influential institutions.
- A corporate Advisory Group that enhances students' development of professional consulting skills during their practicum by offering students opportunities to solve relevant industry problems. Our esteemed Advisory Group provides recommendations on shaping the curriculum to prepare students for current trends in the field.