Frequently Asked Questions

Short-Term Study Away Programs


When are course offerings available for the upcoming semesters through this website?
  • Winter: September of the previous semester
  • Spring: September of the previous semester
  • Summer: November of the previous semester
How will I be notified of upcoming short-term programs?

Information regarding up-coming study away and exchange opportunities is released based on the timeline provided in the above question. The GWSB Global & Experiential Education website is updated with the list of current programs and program brochures with additional information about each program. Students will receive an email notification listing the confirmed programs. Many programs will also have information sessions, which will be advertised in the program brochures, on fliers, and through listserv emails.

Am I eligible for a short-term study away program?

Eligible students have completed at least one semester on campus before the start of the program, are in good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 or above) and have met any prerequisite course requirements.

If I am not a GWSB student, am I eligible for enrollment in a GWSB short-term study away program?

Graduate students from other GW schools are eligible to apply.

Qualified undergraduates should check the specific short-term program’s website to see if it is open to undergraduate applicants.Students from other universities are eligible to participate in GWSB short-term programs.  Please note that if you are not a GW student you will be required to apply to GW as a non-degree students and pay GW tuition for the course.

Are international students eligible to participate in a GWSB short-term study away program?

Yes, international students are eligible to participate.  It is the responsibility of the international student to ensure s/he is following the correct U.S. immigration procedure to travel to the study abroad program destination.

Questions regarding travel abroad for international students should be directed to the International Services Office.

The Global & Experiential Education will provide information and assist in gathering the appropriate documents for any international student who requires a visa to travel to the program destination.

Are GWSB short-term study away programs eligible for alumni audit?

Study away programs are not eligible for alumni audit.  Alumni who wish to participate in a short-term study away program may apply as a non-degree student and pay GW tuition for the course.

Are GWSB short-term study away programs available through the D.C. Consortium?

Study away programs are not eligible for registration through the D.C. Consortium. Consortium students who wish to participate in a short-term study away program may apply as a non-degree student and pay GW tuition for the course.


How do I apply?

Students submit an online application for short-term study away programs.  The online application can be accessed from the webpage of the specific short-term study away program and selecting the “Apply Now” button.  If you have already started an application and would like to return to it before the application deadline, you may access it here.

If you have questions regarding the online application, email Global & Experiential Education at [email protected].

Can I apply to more than one short-term study away program?

Eligible students can take part in multiple study away opportunities throughout their degree.

If you are interested in more than one study abroad opportunity for the same time period, you should fill out a separate application for each opportunity you are interested in. If you are accepted to multiple opportunities for the same time period, you can decline your secondary choices with no penalty should you do so within the commit deadline period.

When are applications due?
  • Winter programs deadline – September/October
  • Spring programs deadline – November/December
  • Summer programs deadline – February/March

You will not receive an email confirmation for a completed application. You will know your application is complete when all items in the application are checked as submitted.  The online application will close at Midnight on the application deadline. You will not be able to access your application after this time.

If you have questions regarding the online application, email Global & Experiential Education at [email protected].

Are there prerequisite courses for all short-term study abroad programs?

Some course offerings do have prerequisites that must be met before the start of the short-term study away program in order to remain eligible. The study away program’s webpage description will state whether or not a prerequisite exists for enrollment. Questions regarding the prerequisites can be directed to the faculty member leading that specific program.

Who reviews the applications?

For short-term study away programs led by GWSB faculty, the professor makes the final admissions decision.  Some programs may include an in-person interview with the faculty leading the program in addition to the online application.

For short-term exchange programs with our partner institutions, Global & Experiential Education fields candidates for these programs.

When will I hear back regarding my application?

The average review period for short-term programs is one-two weeks.  Once a decision has been made all applicants will be notified if they have been admitted, denied or waitlisted.

Admitted students then have 5 business days to submit a $500 program deposit to confirm their spot in the program. After that time the professor and G&EE will notify people from the waitlist if they have been selected.

How do I submit the Program Deposit?

For GW Students:

Global & Experiential Education accepts credit card for payment of the short-term study away program deposit.  Students will receive directions on how to submit their program deposit in both the online passport system and in their program admittance email.

Please note: The credit card deposits are not directly tied to the passport system. When you pay the deposit online, it will not automatically appear in the online passport system. G&EE will receive a report of who has paid and will confirm the payment in the system. This may cause a delay in the check mark appearing in the Passport Application.

For Non-GW Students:

Deposits are submitted by check or money order and made out to “The George Washington University.”  On the $500.00 program deposit note the specific program you would like the deposit applied to.  Checks or money order are accepted in-person or by mail* at:

Global & Experiential Education
The George Washington University
School of Business, Office of Graduate Programs
Duquès Hall, Suite 550
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052

*Program Deposit deadlines are strictly enforced. If you plan to mail in your deposit, please take into account postal mail processing times when mailing a deposit. Checks have been lost in the mail, it is recommended students track the check or inform G&EE via email ([email protected]) when the check has been mailed.


How can I register for a program?

Students interested in a short-term study away program complete an online application in GW Passport prior to enrollment in the course(s) corresponding to the program.

Students cannot register for the class(es) tied to a short-term study away program online or by submitting an RTF to the Registrar’s Office. Only Global & Experiential Education (G&EE) can register students. G&EE will notify students when they have been registered in the course(s).

Do all short-term study away programs have class sessions both prior to and following the international experience?

Most courses hold class sessions on-campus or online before and after the international experience. Programs labeled as "short-term exchanges" are offered by our Partner Institutions and do not include pre or post travel course meetings. Short-term exchange programs will have an online or on campus Pre-Departure Orientation which is mandatory for participants.


How much do short-term study away programs typically cost?

It is difficult to give an average cost for short-term study away programs because program duration, destination, and course credits are the main components for the overall course cost and vary widely.

Typically, accommodations, meals, travel expenses, and health insurance and course credit are part of the Program Fee. When interested in a specific program cost you should visit the program’s online brochure for a cost estimate.

How will my tuition be billed?

Your short-term study away program will register in your student account as three separate transactions.

Tuition: Each course will be billed a tuition fee that will correspond to the number of credits in the course. This amount will be lumped together with your other tuition costs.

Program Deposit: The program deposit will show up in your student account as a short term abroad deposit. When you pay this deposit, it will appear as a credit on your student account. (Please see the withdraw policy for additional information on program deposits)

GWSB Global & Experiential Education Fee: This fee covers the billable program costs arranged by GWSB Global & Experiential Education on behalf of the student and may include lodging, group transportation, group meals, cultural events and travel health insurance. The program fee is charged in addition to tuition for the course. For additional information about program costs, please see the FAQ on the difference between program deposit and program costs.

What is the difference between the Program Deposit and Program Fee?

The Program Deposit is like a down payment for the program. It confirms with G&EE that you are committed to taking part in the study abroad opportunity.

The Program Fee is used to pay for on-the-ground logistics such as lodging, group meals, group transportation, cultural excursions and travel health insurance. Program fees will vary due to price parity, program logistics, and program length. Services included in a program fee for one program may not be included in another.

Will my financial aid, fellowships, and/or scholarships apply?

Financial aid, fellowship, and scholarship applicability may vary by program and scholarship. All program tuition costs are paid directly to The George Washington University. As a result, most financial aid or fellowships restricted to US-based credit-bearing programs will apply.

For students who are using financial aid or have a sponsor paying for their GW program costs, the G&EE office can write a support letter detailing the additional cost of the study abroad program. These letters are used to ask for increases in financial aid in order to help cover the costs of the additional program fees. G&EE cannot guarantee that this support letter will result in an increase in aid funding.


When can I purchase my flight?

Students are responsible for booking their own international flights, but will receive guidance from G&EE or the GWSB faculty regarding arrival / departure.

G&EE highly recommends that students wait until receiving confirmation from G&EE or the GWSB faculty prior to purchasing airfare.  

Will I be notified of health and safety considerations for the destination?

Students will receive an email from G&EE with important health and safety considerations.  Students traveling on any international short-term study away program are encouraged to visit the GeoBlue website, an online database that provides health, safety, and travel tracking information for the destination country. Students will also be required to take part in a health and safety orientation, which will give an overview of the destination country’s general health and safety travel risks.

For programs that suddenly acquire higher travel risks, GW’s Office of International Programs will determine whether students will still be allowed to travel to the destination. Students will be alerted of the increased travel risk and given additional briefings by any necessary departments or government agencies.

Will I need additional insurance coverage during my semester abroad?

All students traveling internationally on a GWSB study away program will be enrolled in travel health insurance through GeoBlue for the duration of their program. Students extending their stay outside the program dates may contact GeoBlue to purchase additional coverage.

Can I bring my partner/spouse on the GWSB short-term study away program?

Non-participants accompanying students, faculty, or staff of GW Study Away Programs are not eligible to attend class sessions or other program-related activities during the short-term study away program. Class meetings, site visits, field trips, dinners, receptions, program-provided transportation, and all other program-related events are open only to students registered for the course, program faculty, and staff. Please be aware that the university will not provide any support services or assume any responsibility for accompanying non-participants.

Will I have my own room?

For programs where the accommodations are arranged by Global & Experiential Education, students are assigned to shared rooms. If you would like your own room, you will be required to pay the cost of your half of the double room (included in the program fee) as well as the cost of your single room. G&EE books hotel rooms for program participants, but cannot guarantee that the hotel will have any additional rooms available should you desire a single room.

What if I am no longer able to participate in a GWSB short-term program?

Students should reference the Withdraw & Refund Policy in the GW Passport system prior to withdrawing from the program.  This policy is also included in all GWSB short-term study away program brochures.

Can a program be canceled?

There are typically two reasons a program will be cancelled. The most common reason is because not enough students submitted a deposit and committed to the program by the deadline. Programs that cannot meet the necessary student enrollment number are cancelled after the commit deadline and students who committed to the program are refunded their deposits. Due to this risk of cancellation, students are encouraged to delay purchasing flights until after they receive confirmation from G&EE or the GWSB Faculty Director.

The other less-common reason for a program cancellation is due to concerns that the program can no longer meet GW’s standards for health, safety, or programmatic quality due to changes in the status of the destination country. If these cancellations do take place, students will be informed as soon as possible.

For more information, reference the Cancellation Policy.

If you have additional questions, please contact the Global & Experiential Education office:

Phone: +1 (202) 994-1212
Email:  [email protected]

School of Business
Duquès Hall, Suite 550
2201 G. St. NW
Washington DC, 20052

Long-Term Study Abroad


What is an International Exchange?

The GW School of Business (GWSB) has partnerships with prestigious business schools across the globe, allowing GWSB graduate students to directly enroll in partner universities for one semester or module. In exchange, the partner university sends graduate students who directly enroll in GW classes. Direct enrollment heightens cultural immersion and language acquisition while allowing exchange students access to hundreds of courses across a variety of topics and full access to student services available at the partner institution.

Who is eligible for an International Exchange?

All School of Business graduate students should have completed at least one semester on campus before the start of their exchange program. Exchange programs are best suited for candidates who have spent a full academic year on campus. Qualified applicants must be in good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 or above) and meet any additional admissions criteria specific to their chosen exchange program. All GWSB degree-seeking graduate students, including domestic and international students may apply to these opportunities.

When should I study on an International Exchange?

International Exchange is recommended for students who are in the final semester(s) of their graduate program and have completed most, if not all, of their core degree requirements. Other considerations may include: GWSB course offerings, engagement in student organizations, and recruitment periods for sectors of interest. It is recommended that all students meet with their Academic Advisors regularly as well as the F. David Fowler Career Center prior to their International Exchange.


How do I apply?

Students interested in International Exchange are required to meet with Global & Experiential Education to discuss exchange opportunities prior to submitting an application. Email [email protected] to set up an appointment. After meeting with G&EE, students access the online application by selecting the partner institution on the G&EE website and clicking on the “Apply Now” button at the top of the page.

Email [email protected] with any questions regarding the online application.

When are applications due?

International Exchange application deadlines are March 15th for fall enrollment abroad and September 15th for spring enrollment abroad.

Is there a language requirement for International Exchange?

Graduate Exchange programs do not have a language requirement. Coursework is offered in English at each institution. At partner universities where coursework is also offered in the native language, exchange students must demonstrate sufficient proficiency as determined by the partner institution prior to enrollment. Please notify G&EE if you are interested in enrolling in coursework in another language at the partner institution.


How will my tuition be billed?

GWSB students participating in a semester exchange program will continue to pay GW graduate tuition & fees during the international exchange. All students will be billed for the amount of credits they are transferring back to GW. If a student is applying 9 credits from the partner institution, s/he will be billed for 9 credits by GW. The maximum amount of credit students can transfer back from an international exchange is 12 credit hours.

Will my financial aid, fellowships, and/or scholarships apply?

One of the benefits of continuing to pay GW graduate tuition & fees for an international exchange is that students’ financial aid still applies. The debt ceiling for student loans can be raised if students need additional loans for their semester abroad. Please contact Financial Aid for more information. Global & Experiential Education can provide support letters to students who are requesting an increase in their debt ceiling. With regard to fellowships and/or scholarships, check the award letter to see if it can be applied to courses taken abroad.

How much should I budget for the International Exchange?

Cost of living estimates are included on each program’s website and are based on information provided by the partner institutions. Note that most estimates are provided in local currency and are expected to be used as a guide. The estimates do not include the cost of GW tuition for the semester the student is participating in international exchange. Tuition is based on the GW student’s home tuition rate and number of credit hours the student will be transferring back to GW.


How does my credit transfer back to my degree at GW?

Courses taken at a partner institution transfers back to GW as elective credit. In order to maximize their time abroad, students should always work with their academic advisor in order to confirm the elective credit they have available and that the classes taken are graduate-level and in line with their course of study. Students complete a Petition to Transfer Credit outlining the courses s/he will take abroad and submit it to their academic advisor for approval prior to departure. After coursework is completed an official transcript from the partner institution will be sent to the GWSB for evaluation and assignment of credit. G&EE transfers back the courses from the International Exchange based on the Petition to Transfer Credit form.

How many credits can I transfer in from an international exchange program?

Depending upon student's home graduate program, students can transfer up to 15 credits from a partner institution as long as they receive the equivalent of a B grade or higher in each course.

Do credits taken on an international exchange count as credits taken outside the School of Business?

No. One of the benefits of participating in an International Exchange is that the credits are considered within the GWSB and do not affect the 6 credits allowed for classes taken outside the university.

Can I fulfill core course requirements on the International Exchange?

No. Core or required courses for your GWSB degree must be taken at GWSB. Courses taken on an International Exchange count as elective credit.

Where do I find the courses available for me to take at the Exchange Partner Institution?

Students are encouraged to consult the partner institution's website for links to the most up to date course listing available. G&EE recommends that students consult with their academic advisor regarding the courses they are interested in taking. Course listings are not a guarantee that the course will be offered so it is best to have double the number of options for the amount of courses you will be taking abroad. It is the students’ responsibility to consult with their academic advisors and partner institutions regarding application of credit and registration.

How many courses should I register for?

Students must be registered full-time at the partner institution. Please consult the partner institution to see if they have an enrollment requirement for exchange students. This will vary depending on immigration rules of the host country.

Can I receive credit for the language course I take abroad?

Although it is highly recommended that students enroll in foreign language courses at the partner institution, you are not able to use foreign language coursework credit toward your GWSB degree or to meet the full time enrollment requirement.

Do the grades I receive on the International Exchange affect my GW GPA?

Students’ grades from International Exchange do not affect their GW GPA. In order for the credit earned on International Exchange to be applied to students’ GWSB degree, they must receive the equivalent of a B or higher.


When can I purchase my flight?

Students are advised NOT to purchase their flight until they have received an acceptance letter from the partner institution. When purchasing flights it is important for students to take into consideration the following:

  • Will I need to find housing when I arrive?
  • Date of the partner institution orientation (normally conducted before the start of classes.)
  • When is the last day of final exams?
  • Immigration regulations regarding arrival prior to the program start date, or departure after the end of the program.
Will I need additional insurance coverage during my semester abroad?

All students are required to have insurance that is valid outside of the United States and provide medical coverage, evacuation, and repatriation services. Global & Experiential Education does not purchase travel insurance for students participating in International Exchanges. Many GW students use GeoBlue an organization that allows students to purchase medical insurance at a rate of less than $2/day of study abroad. Check with the partner institution regarding any health insurance requirements of the host institution or country.

When should I arrive?

Global & Experiential Education recommends considering the items mentioned in the question on purchasing airfare above and consulting with the partner university if there is a specific date they must arrive by.

Can I bring my partner/spouse on the exchange program?

Non-participants accompanying students, faculty, or staff of GW Study Away Programs are not eligible to attend class sessions or other program-related activities during the study abroad program. Class meetings, site visits, field trips, dinners, receptions, program-provided transportation, and all other program-related events are open only to students registered for the course, program faculty, and staff. Please be aware that the university will not provide any support services or assume any responsibility for accompanying non-participants.

Can I complete an internship while abroad?

It is common that the student is responsible for finding an internship. Exchange students have access to the partner institution’s career center, but keep in mind there may be different visa requirements and additional paperwork through the partner university if students plan on attempting to work during their semester abroad.