- Bloomberg Market data
Data on: stocks, futures, commodities, currencies, rates and bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, and economic calendar.
- Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey (BEEPS) Datasets
The Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey (BEEPS), developed jointly by the World Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, is a survey of over 4000 firms in 22 transition countries conducted in 1999-2000 that examines a wide range of interactions between firms and the state. Based on face-to-face interviews with firm managers and owners, BEEPS is designed to generate comparative measurements in such areas as corruption, state capture, lobbying, and the quality of the business environment, which can then be related to specific firm characteristics and firm performance.
- COMTRADE (Trade data)
UN COMTRADE is the pseudonym for United Nations Commodity Trade Statistics Database. Over 170 reporter countries provide the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) with their annual international trade statistics data detailed by commodities and partner countries. These data are subsequently transformed into the United Nations Statistics Division standard format with consistent coding and valuation using the UN/OECD CoprA internal processing system. The UN COMTRADE is the largest depository of international trade data. It contains well over 1.7 billion data records for 45 years and is available on the internet.
- Correlates of War Bilateral Trade (v2.01)
This data set tracks total national trade and bilateral trade flows between states from 1870-2006. Access trade data here. This data set is hosted by Katherine Barbieri, University of South Carolina, and Omar Keshk, Ohio State University.
- DataGov (Inter-American Development Bank)
Sample list: CPR, Debt services as % of exports of goods and services, Employment growth over the last 3 years, Exports of goods and services, FDI inflows, FDI inflows (as percentage of GDP), FDI inward stock, FDI outflows, GDP growth, GDP per capita, GDP per capita growth, GDP per capita, PPP, GNI per capita, GNI per capita PPP, Gross capital formation, Inflation, Inward FDI stock, Total debt as % of GNI.
- Datastream Advance
Thomson Reuters Datastream Advance is a global research solution that enables sophisticated analysis across a broad range of financial instruments. Among the market-leading content sets available: Equities and fundamentals, I/B/E/S Estimates, I/B/E/S Global Aggregates, Unit and investment trusts, Indices, Bonds, International macroeconomics, Commodities, Money market instruments, Futures and options, and Unique content.
- Directory of Corporate Affiliations
Corporate Affiliations empowers your decision-making with strategic information on leading public and private companies in the U.S. and abroad. Our comprehensive corporate family data combined with coverage of key executives and directors can help you build more profitable business relationships. Corporate Affiliations is the authoritative source for information on the companies that drive the global economy.
- EarthTrends: Economics, Business, and the Environment
GDP in million constant 1995 US dollars, GDP PPP, GNI, GDP per capita, Average annual growth in GDP, Percent of GDP earned by : Agriculture, Industry, and Services, Imports, Exports, Exports as a percent of GDP, Balance of Trade, ODA, Current Account Balance Total external debt, Debt service as a % of export earnings, FDI net inflows, International Tourism Receipts, Gross National Savings, Net National Savings, Adjusted Net Savings, Gini coefficient, Percent of total income earned by the richest, Percent to total income earned by the poorest, National Poverty Rate, Poverty rate: Urban Population, Percent of population living on less than $1 a day, Percent of Population living on less than $2 a day.
- EBRD Economic Statistics and Forecasts
Sample list: GDP, GNP, Privatization Revenues, Private Sector Share in GDP, Private Sector Share in Employment, Budgetary Subsidies and Current Transfers, Share of Industry in Total Employment, Change in Labor Productivity in Industry, Investment/DP, EBRD Index, Share of Administered Prices in CPI, Number of Goods with Administered prices, Share of Trade with non-transition countries, Share of trade in GDP, Tariff Revenues, Number of bans, Asset Share of State-owned banks, asset share of foreign owned banks, Non-performing loans, Domestic credit to private sector, domestic credit to households, mortgage lending, Stock Market capitalization, Stock Trading Volume, Eurobond Issuance, Consumer Prices, Employment, Unemployment,, Gross Average Monthly Earnings, Government balance and expenditure, Broad Money, Domestic Credit, Exchange Rate, Current Account, Trade balance, Merchandise exports and imports, FDI, Gross Reserves excluding gold, external debt stock, gross reserves, debt service.
The database includes information on publicly traded companies in the following markets: United States, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Colombia, and Venezuela. The database consists of historical data including:
- Quarterly and annual financial statements
- Daily stock prices
- Corporate actions (dividends, splits, etc)
- Names and holdings of shareholders.
- Financial ratios (return on equity, debt/equity, etc.)
- Fundamental ratios (P/E, EV/Ebitda, dividend yield, etc)
- Statistical ratios (beta, volatility, liquidity, sharpe, etc)
- Graph analysis ratios (RSI, stochastics, bollinger, etc)
- EIU Country Analysis & Forecasts
Sample list: GDP (% real change pa), Nominal GDP (US$ at PPP), Real GDP, Real private consumption, Real government consumption, Real gross fixed investment, Real stock building, Real exports of G&S, Real imports of G&S, Real domestic demand, Real GDP (PPP US$ at 1996 prices), GDP (% of real change pa), Privation consumption (% of real change pa), Nominal GDP, Nominal private consumption, Nominal Government consumption, Private consumption contribute to real GDP growth, Labor productivity growth (%), Total factor productivity growth (%), Industrial production, Growth of real capital stock (%), Growth of real potential output (%).
- ERS/USDA Data – International Macroeconomic Data Set
Real GDP, Population Historical, Real Exchange Rates Historical, GDP Shares by Country and Region Historical, Real Per Capita Income Historical, GDP Deflators Historical, Consumer Price Indexes Historical, Real GDP Projections, Population Projections, Real Exchange Rates Projections, GDP Shares by Country and region Projections, Real PerCapita Income Projections, GDP Deflators Projections, Consumer Price Indexes Projections
- IMF Data & Statistics
The IMF publishes a range of time series data on IMF lending, exchange rates and other economic and financial indicators. Manuals, guides, and other material on statistical practices at the IMF, in member countries, and of the statistical community at large are also available. Datasets include:
- Balance of Payments Statistics (BOPS)
- Coordinated Portfolio Investment Survey (CPIS)
- Currency Composition of Official Foreign Exchange Reserves (COFER)
- Data Template on International Reserves and Foreign Currency Liquidity
- Direction of Trade Statistics (DOTS)
- Financial Access Survey (FAS)
- Financial Soundness Indicators (FSIs)
- G-20 Surveillance Notes
- Government Finance Statistics (GFS)
- IMF Financial Activities
- IMF Financial Data by Country
- IMF Financial data by topic: Arrears; Disbursements & Repayments; IMF Credit Outstanding; Lending Arrangements; Projected Payments to the IMF; SDR Allocations & Holdings
- IMF Financial Resources & Liquidity
- IMF Financial Transactions
- International Financial Statistics
- Joint External Debt Hub
- Monitoring of Fund Arrangements Database (MONA)
- Primary Commodity Prices
- Principal Global Indicators (PGI)
- SDR Valuation
- World Economic Outlook Databases (WEO)
- LexisNexis Statistical Insight (Available through university libraries)
LexisNexis Statistical Insight unifies indexing previously available through three print products, the American Statistics Index, the Statistical Reference Index, and the Index to International Statistics. LexisNexis Statistical Insight enables easy access to statistics produced by the U.S. government, major international and intergovernmental organizations, professional and trade organizations, commercial publishers, independent research organizations, state government agencies, and universities.
- Library of Congress Country Studies
Natural Resources; Environmental Factors; Population, Demography, Religion, Health, Welfare; Gross Domestic Product, Government Budget; Inflation; Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing; Mining and Minerals; Industry and Manufacturing; Energy; Banking and Finance; Foreign Economic Relations; Imports; Exports; Trade Balance; Balance of Payments; External Debt; Foreign Investment; Currency and Exchange Rate.
- Nation Master Economy Statistics by Country
Sample list: Big Mac Index, Debt > External, Debt > External (per $ GDP), Distribution of family income, Gini index, Economic freedom, Exports, GDP, GDP (per capita), GDP (purchasing power parity) (per capita), GDP > PPP, GDP > PPP (per capita), GDP, Real growth rate, GDP per capita in 1973, Gross National Income, Gross National Income (per capita), Human Development Index, Income Category, Population below poverty line, Poverty, Share of all poor people, Public debt.
- OECD Statistics Portal
Themes: general statistics, agriculture and fisheries, demography and population, development, economic projections, education and training, environment, finance, globalization, health, industry and services, information and communication technology, international trade and balance of payments, labor, monthly economic indicators, national accounts, prices and PPP, productivity, public sector, taxation and market regulation, regional statistics, science, technology and patents, social and welfare statistics, transport, non-member economies.
- Orbis (Bureau van Dijk)
Orbis contains comprehensive information on companies worldwide. You can use it to research individual companies and find companies with specific profiles and analyze them.
- Penn World Tables
Sample list: Population, Exchange Rate, National Currency, Purchasing Power Parity over GDP, Real GDP per Capita, Consumption Share of Real GDP, Government Share of Real GDP per capita, Investment share of Real GDP per Capita, Price levels of GDP, Price level of consumption, price level of government, price level of investment, openness in current prices, ratio of GNP to GDP, real GDP per capita relative to the U.S., Growth rate of Real GDP Chain per capita, growth rate of real GDP laspeyres2 per capita, real GDP laspeyres2 per worker.
- Political Risk Services
GDP, GNP, Privatization Revenues, Private Sector Share in GDP, Private Sector Share in Employment, Budgetary Subsidies, Current Transfers, Share of Industry in Total Employment, Change in Labor Productivity in Industry, Investment/DP, Share of Administered Prices in CPI, Number of Goods with Administered prices, Share of Trade with non-transition countries, Share of trade in GDP, Tariff Revenues, Number of bans, Asset Share of State-owned banks, asset share of foreign owned banks, Non-performing loans, Domestic credit to private sector, domestic credit to households, mortgage lending, Stock Market capitalization, Stock Trading Volume, Eurobond Issuance, Consumer Prices, Employment, Unemployment, Gross Average Monthly Earnings, Government balance and expenditure, Broad Money, Domestic Credit, Exchange Rate, Current Account, Trade balance, Merchandise exports and imports, FDI, Gross Reserves excluding gold, external debt stock, gross reserves, debt service, Capital Investment.
- Polity IV database
The Polity conceptual scheme is unique in that it examines concomitant qualities of democratic and autocratic authority in governing institutions, rather than discreet and mutually exclusive forms of governance. This perspective envisions a spectrum of governing authority that spans from fully institutionalized autocracies through mixed, or incoherent, authority regimes (termed “anocracies”) to fully institutionalized democracies. The “Polity Score” captures this regime authority spectrum on a 21-point scale ranging from -10 (hereditary monarchy) to +10 (consolidated democracy). The Polity scores can also be converted to regime categories: we recommend a three-part categorization of “autocracies” (-10 to -6), “anocracies” (-5 to +5 and the three special values: -66, -77, and -88), and “democracies” (+6 to +10); see “Global Regimes by Type, 1946-2006” above. The Polity scheme consists of six component measures that record key qualities of executive recruitment, constraints on executive authority, and political competition. It also records changes in the institutionalized qualities of governing authority. The Polity data include information only on the institutions of the central government and on political groups acting, or reacting, within the scope of that authority. It does not include consideration of groups and territories that are actively removed from that authority (i.e., separatists or “fragments”; these are considered separate, though not independent, polities) or segments of the population that are not yet effectively politicized in relation to central state politics.
- Population Reference Bureau
Economically Active Population by gender, amount of women in parliament, GNI Per Capita, Population Living on less than $2 per day.
- SDC Platinum
Comprehensive coverage: more than 1.9 million transactions and 7,500 data items, illustrating companies throughout their entire lifespan. Global issues: historical and on-going coverage of more than 119,000 global equity offerings and 550,000 global bond offerings.
Worldwide syndicated loans: coverage spans more than 142,000 transactions and hundreds of data elements. Worldwide mergers, acquisitions and alliances: covers approximately 672,000 global M&As from 1985 to the present. Global public financings: historical and on-going coverage of more than 418,000 U.S. municipal new issues and thousands of Canadian and international public financings. Medium-term note programs: more than 6,500 continuously offered programs in the U.S., Europe and other global markets. Global project finance: coverage on more than 10,800 worldwide projects announced and financed on a limited or non-recourse basis. Corporate restructuring: historical and on-going coverage of more than 3,000 U.S. exchange offers and debt tenders; more than 3,700 U.S. bankruptcies. Corporate governance: historical and on-going coverage of more than 8,700 U.S., Canadian and Japanese poison pill plans; more than 590 U.S. proxy fights for corporate control; more than 13,600 U.S. repurchase programs.
- The Conference Board Total Economy Database
Sample list: Summary Estimates of Growth of Labor Productivity, Real GDP and Total Hours Worked, Labor Productivity Growth (GDP per hour, annual average, percent), Real GDP Growth ( annual average, percent), Total hours growth (annual average, percent), Labor Productivity and Per Capita Income Levels and the Effects of Working Hours and Labor Utilization, Labor Productivity, GDP per person Employed, All Countries, (annual average growth and level as % of U.S.)
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics
Sample list: Population, Public current expenditure, Educational expenditure, Percentage of GDP/GNP, Total Population, Total debt service as a % of NI< Gross domestic product (local currency), Gross national product (local currency), GDP growth rate, GDP per capita (PPP) US$, Annual population growth rate (%), Rural population (%).
- UNICEF Statistics and Monitoring
Available economic indicators by country: GNI per capita, GDP per capita average annual growth rate, GDP per capita average annual growth rate, Average annual rate of inflation, % of population below international poverty line of US$1.25 per day, 1992-2007, % of central government expenditure (1998-2007*) allocated to health, education, & defense, ODA inflow, Debt service as a % of exports of goods and services, and Debt service as a % of exports of goods and services.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Sample list: Consumer Price Index, Purchasing Power Parity, Exchange Rate, Comparative Price Level of GDP, GDP at Current Prices and PPPS, GDP deflator, Balance of Current Account, Unemployment Rate, Total Employment Growth Rate, Total Population growth rate, total population, balance of current account, capital account balance, Changes in reserves, Direct investment abroad.
- United Nations Statistics Division
Sample list: Trade, Commodity exports and imports, GDP, Value Added by Activity, National Accounts.
- United States Department of State Country Profiles
GDP, GDP Per Capita.
- Value Surveys
The World Values Survey (WVS) is a global network of social scientists who have surveyed the basic values and beliefs of the publics of more than 80 societies, on all six inhabited continents.
- Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS)
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is a web-based business data research service from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Developed in 1993 to support faculty research at Wharton, the service has evolved to become a common tool for research for over 280 institutions around the world. WRDS is the de facto standard for business data, providing researchers worldwide with instant access to financial, economic, and marketing data though a uniform, web-based interface. This hosted data service has become the locus for quantitative data research and is recognized by the academic and financial research community around the world as the leading business intelligence tool. WRDS provides access to the following databases:
- Free with subscription to WRDS: Bank Regulatory; CENTRIS-Monthly Insights Reports; Federal Bank Reports; CBOE Indexes; Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC); Blockholders; IRI Marketing Factbook: Point of Sale; Penn World Tables; CUSIP Master File (academic only); Philadelphia Stock Exchange United Currency Options; Direct Marketing Educational Foundation; SEC Disclosure of Order Execution; Dow Jones; TRACE; Fama-French (Research) Portfolios and Factors.
- With separate license: Board Analyst, The Corporate Library; IVES; Bureau van Dijk; KLD; Capital IQ; Mergent; Center for Research in Security Prices; NASTRAQ; CENTRIS; NYSE Euronext; comScore; OptionMetrics; Eventus; PACAP
Global Insight/DRI; RentBureau; GovPX Treasuries (ICAP); Riskmetrics; GSI Online; Thomson Reuters; ISSM
- World Bank Data Catalog
The World Bank’s Open Data initiative is intended to provide all users with access to World Bank data. The data catalog is a listing of available World Bank datasets, include databases, pre-formatted tables and reports. Each of the listings includes a description of the data set and a direct link to that set. Where possible, the databases are linked directly to a selection screen to allow users to select the countries, indicators, and years they would like to search. Those search results can be exported in different formats. Users can also choose to download the entire database directly from the catalog. Available databases:
- Actionable Governance Indicators
- African Development Indicators
- Africa’s Infrastructure
- Bulletin Board on Statistical Capacity (BBSC)
- Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey (BEEPS)
- Country At-a-Glance Tables (AAG)
- Country Policy and Institutional Assessment
- Doing Business
- Education Statistics
- Enterprise Surveys
- Gender Statistics
- GDP, PPP-based
- Global Development Finance (GDF)
- Global Economic Monitor (GEM)
- GNI, Atlas Method
- GNI per capita, Atlas Method and PPP-based
- Health, Nutrition, and Population Statistics
- Health, Nutrition, Population At-a-Glance Tables
- IDA Results Measurement System
- Information and Communication At-a-Glance Tables
- International Comparison Program
- Joint External Debt Hub
- Knowledge Economy Index
- Logistics Performance Index (LPI)
- Migration and Remittances Factbook 2011
- Millennium Development Goals Tables
- Millennium Development Indicators
- Population Projection Tables
- Private Participation in Infrastructure (PPI)
- Private Sector At-a Glance Tables
- Privatization Database
- Quarterly External Debt Statistics (QUEDS/GDDS)
- Quarterly Public Sector Debt
- Remittance Prices Worldwide
- Research Datasets and Analytical Tools
- Rural Access Index (RAI)
- Temporary Trade Barriers Database including the Global Antidumping Database
- The Wealth of Nations Dataset
- World Bank Policy Research Working Papers
- World Bank Projects Portfolio
- World Development Indicators
- Worldwide Governance Indicators
- World Resources Institute Environmental Information Panel
Sample list: Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), Exports of Goods and Services, Balance of Trade, DebtExports Service Percent of Total, Savings Rate, Freedom Indices, Government Expenditures, Access to Information.
While advances in harmonization have been made by major exchanges, FASB, IASB, and other regulatory bodies, financial accounting practices remain diverse and company presentations remain highly inconsistent. Thomson Reuters Worldscope Fundamentals addresses this complexity by utilizing uniform definitions and standardized statement organization. Worldscope covers over 57,000 companies, 37,000 active and more than 27,000 inactive companies, in more than 70 countries, including full standardized coverage of over 30 developed and emerging markets. Our data covers over 96% of global market capitalization, including all constituents of major indices, and 1,500+ data items.
- WTO Statistics Database
Sample list: GDP, Population, Trade per capita, Trade to GDP rate, Exports of goods and services, Imports of goods and services, Merchandise exports, Merchandise imports, Share in world total exports, Share in world total imports, Balance of Payments, Employment I services, FDI in services, Net commercial services trade, Investment Abroad, Other Trade-Related Indicators
- Center for the Connected Consumer
- Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence (CFEE)
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER)
- About GW-CIBER
- GW-CIBER Research Resources
- GW-CIBER Teaching Resources in IB
- GW-CIBER Business Languages Program
- GW-CIBER Faculty Development in IB
- GW-CIBER Student Activities
- GW-CIBER Internal Funding Opportunities
- GW-CIBER Video Library
- Consulting Practicum
- Senior Research Scholars & Fellows
- Center for Latin American Issues (CLAI)
- Center for Real Estate & Urban Analysis (CREUA)
- Professional Services
- European Union Research Center (EURC)
- Global Financial Literacy Excellence Center (GFLEC)
- The Growth Dialogue
- Institute for Brazilian Issues
- Institute for Corporate Responsibility
- Institute for Integrating Statistics in Decision Sciences
- International Institute of Tourism Studies (IITS)
- Korean Management Institute (KMI)
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052