The Master of Science in Information Systems Technology program is 33 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks).
Students must successfully complete the following course and program requirements to be eligible for the MS in Information Systems Technology degree.
- Students may be required to complete 3-6 credits of foundation courses (see requirements below).
- Achieve at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation.
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years.
Students must complete 33 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Foundation Courses | 6 Credits*
- ISTM 6290 | Python & SQL
*Foundation courses may be waived based on previous academic coursework. See your academic advisor for more details.
Core Courses | 21 Credits**
- ISTM 6201 | Information Systems Development and Applications | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6202 | Relational Databases | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6204 | Information Technology Project Management | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6205 | Internet Computing | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6206 | Information Systems Security | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6209 | Web & Social Analytics | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6210 | Integrated Information Systems Capstone | 3 Credits
Electives | 12 Credits
Students may choose a combination of 12 graduate-level credits from ISTM courses. Students may enroll in other graduate courses with the written permission of their academic advisor.
- ISTM 6221 | Management Perspectives in Electronic Commerce | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6222 | IS/IT Strategy and Implementation | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6223 | Technology Entrepreneurship | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6224 | Management of Technology and Innovation | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6225 | Enterprise Architecture | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6211 | Data Warehousing and Online Analytical Processing | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6213 | Enterprise Web and Database Applications | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6214 | Advanced Programming and Business Applications | 3 Credits
- ISTM 6215 | Human-Computer Interaction | 3 Credits
Additional Requirements for Specific Degree Programs
BBA/MSIST 4+1 Program
The 4+1 Program offered by the GW School of Business allows students to complete a Bachelor's degree as well as a Master of Science in Information Systems Technology degree in five years. For students pursuing a BBA and a Master of Information Systems Technology combined degree program, all requirements for both degrees must be fulfilled. Nine credits of graduate coursework may be shared between the BBA and the Master of Information Systems Technology course requirements. Those nine shared credits must be comprised of the following courses:
- ISTM 6204 Information Technology Project Management
- ISTM 6201 Information Systems Development and Application
- ISTM 6202 Relational Databases
MBA/Master of Science in Information Systems Technology
For students pursuing a MBA and a Master of Science in Information Systems Technology dual degree program, all requirements for both degrees must be fulfilled. In the dual MBA/MSIST program, up to 24 credits may be double-counted toward degree requirements for the MBA/MSIST as follows:
- 12 credits of required ISTM core courses may be counted as electives toward the MBA
- 12 credits of DNSC, DAT, and/or other ISTM courses completed as electives for the MBA may count toward MSIST electives
Students may pursue a dual degree in any MBA program. Part-time students take courses for both programs simultaneously. Full-time students take courses for the Global MBA in their first year and then complete the remainder of the degree requirements simultaneously. In both cases, the degrees may be conferred sequentially.
- Undergraduate Programs
- MBA Programs
- Specialized Master's Programs
- Graduate & Professional Certificates
- Online Degrees
- Executive Education
- Doctoral Programs
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052