Jorge E. Rivera
Jorge E. Rivera is a professor of Strategic Management and Public Policy and Tucker-Endowed Fellow at the George Washington University School of Business (GWSB). Prof. Rivera’s research focuses on studying how external environment factors are associated with business sustainability management strategies. Over the last few years, he has been examining 1) How nature’s adversity conditions affect corporate adaptation and mitigation to climate change, and 2) how natural disasters and industrial accidents affect foreign investment location by multinational corporations (findings and conceptual models published in Business Adaptation to Climate Change by Cambridge University Press, 2022). Another stream of his research focuses on evaluating how participation in green certification programs affects business competitiveness and environmental performance.
His manuscripts have been published in top journals, across multiple disciplines, including the Strategic Management Journal, Policy Sciences, and Conservation Biology. His last book, entitled “Business and Public Policy: Responses to Environmental & Social Protection Processes” received the Outstanding Book Award by the Organizations and the Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management. The findings from his publications have been mentioned in more than 30 news stories by news outlets including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Washington Post, CNN, and the Financial Times. He is the founding Co-Editor of the Cambridge University Press’s Book series on Organizations and the Natural Environment.
- Tucker Endowed Fellow, The GW School of Business. 2015-present.
- Doctoral Student Association’s Faculty Member of the Year Award (Peter Vail Award for significant contribution to students), The GW School of Business. 2010 Winner. Nominee in 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2008.
- Distinguished Service Award 2012, Organizations and the Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management.
- Policy Research Scholar 2012-13, GWU Institute of Public Policy.
- Outstanding Book Award 2011, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division (Received for my book: Business and Public Policy, Cambridge U. Press, 2010).
- Business and Public Policy
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Policy
Ph.D., Duke University, 2000
Rivera, J, Oh, C., and Oetzel, J. and Clement, V. (Forthcoming, 2022).
Business Adaptation to Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. (Forthcoming, Spring 2022)
Academic Journal Articles
Oh, C., Oetzel, J., Rivera, J. and Lien, D. (2020). Natural Disasters and MNC Sub-national Investments in China . Multinational Business Review, 28(2): 245-274.
Rivera, J., and Clement, V. (2019). Business adaptation to climate change: American ski resorts and warmer temperatures. Business Strategy and The Environment. Vol 28:1285–1301.
Rivera, J. and Roeschmann, J. (2019). Price Premium Effects of Business and Community Green Certifications: The Case of the Costa Rican Hotel Industry. Business Strategy and Development. Vol. 2:117-126.
Kanashiro, P. and Rivera, J. (2019). Do chief sustainability officers make companies greener? The moderating role of regulatory pressures. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.155: 687-701.
Pek, S., Oh, C, and Rivera, J. (2018). MNC foreign investment and industrial disasters: The moderating role of technology, safety management, and philanthropic capability. Strategic Management Journal. Vol.39(2):502-526.
Clement, V., and Rivera, J. (2017). From Adaptation to Transformation: An Extended Research Agenda for Organizational Resilience to Adversity in the Natural Environment. Organization & Environment, Vol.30(4):346-65.
Rivera, J., Naranjo, M., Robalino, J., Alpizar, F., & Blackman, A. (2017). Local community characteristics and cooperation for shared green reputation. Policy Studies Journal, Vol. 45 (4): 613-632.
DeBoer, J., Panwar, J. and Rivera, J. (2017). Toward a Place-Based Understanding of Environmental Sustainability: The Role of Green Competitors and Green Locales in Firms’ Voluntary Environmental Engagement. Business Strategy & the Environment, Vol.26: 940–955.
Aragon-Correa, A., Marcus, A., Rivera, J., and Kenworthy, A. (2017). Sustainability management teaching resources and the challenge of balancing planet, people, and profits. Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol. 16:469-483.
Tashman, P., and Rivera, J. (2016). Ecological uncertainty, adaptation, and mitigation in the US Ski Resort Industry. Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 37: 1507–1525.
- Policy Sciences, Associate Editor (2009-14) (Editorial Board Member 2006-2008)
- Policy Studies Journal, Editorial Board Member (2009-)
- Business & Society, Associate Editor (2008-12) (Editorial Board Member 2012-)
- Organization & Environment, Editorial Board Member (2006-)
Academic Book Presses
- Cambridge University Press, Founding Book Series Co-Editor (with Prof. J. Alberto Aragon) (2012-). Organizations and Natural Environment Book Series.
Other Professional Service
- Division Chair, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2011-12.
- Advisory Board Member, Latin American Environmental Economics Program (2009-)
- Program Chair, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2009-10.