- Special Advisor to the Dean's Office; Professor of Marketing; Professor of Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Marketing; Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Funger Hall
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052
- [email protected]
Vanessa Perry is the special advisor to the dean's office and a professor of marketing as well as a professor of strategic management and public policy at the George Washington University School of Business.
- 2020, AMA-EBSCO Annual Award for Responsible Research in Marketing for “Dog Parks and Coffee Shops: Faux Diversity and Consumption in Gentrifying Neighborhoods” in the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing
- 2020, American Marketing Association Foundation award, Williams-Qualls-Spratlen (WQS) Multicultural Mentoring Award of Excellence
- 2009, Best Paper Award, Journal of Consumer Affairs, for “Is Ignorance Bliss? Consumer Accuracy in Judgments About Credit Ratings”
- 2009, GWU School of Business Doctoral Student Association’s Peter Vaill Award, PhD Advisor of the Year
- 2008, Undergraduate Teaching Award George Washington University School of Business
- 2006, Teaching Excellence Award, George Washington University School of Business
- 2006, 2007, George Washington University School of Business Research Experience for Undergraduates Award
- 2003, Crain Research Fellow, George Washington University School of Business
- Consumer Credit
- Consumer Financial Decisions
- Marketing and Society
- Marketing and Public Policy
- Consumer Behavior
Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
M.B.A., Washington University in St. Louis
B.A., American University
- Bryant, Andrew, Jennifer Griffin and Vanessa G. Perry (2020), “Mitigating Climate Change: A Role for Regulations and Risk-Taking,” Business Strategy and the Environment, 29: 605-19.
- Grier, Sonya A. and Vanessa G. Perry (2018), “Dog Parks and Coffee Shops: Gentrification and Diversity in Urban Neighborhoods”, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 37(1), 23–38.
- Perry, Vanessa G., Carol M. Motley, & Robert L. Adams, Jr. (2016), “What’s the Point(s)? Information Content and Messaging Strategies in Mortgage Loan Advertising,” Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research, 18(2), 45-64.
- Seo, Joo Whan, Vanessa G. Perry, David Tomczyk and George Solomon (2014), “Who Benefits Most? The Effects of Managerial Assistance on Low Versus High Performing Small Businesses,” Journal of Business Research, 67(1), 2845-285.
- Solomon, George, Andrew Bryant, Kevin May, Vanessa Perry (2013), “Survival of the Fittest: Technical Assistance, Survival and Growth of Small Businesses,” Technovation, 33 (8–9), 247-310.
- Perry, Vanessa G. and Carol M. Motley (2013), “You Live Where? An Investigation of Public Housing Stereotypes,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 32, 48-58.
- Perry, Vanessa G. and Pamela M. Blumenthal (2013), “Understanding the Fine Print: The Need for Effective Testing of Mandatory Mortgage Loan Disclosures,” the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 31(2), 305-12.
- Perry, Vanessa G. and J.D. Lee (2012), “"Shopping for a Home VS a Loan: The Role of Cognitive Resource Depletion,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, 36(5), 580-87.
- Perry, Vanessa Gail and Joyce Wolburg (2011), “Aging Gracefully: Emerging Issues for Public Policy and Consumer Welfare,” Journal of Consumer Affairs, 45(3), Fall, 365-71.
- Motley, Carol M. and Vanessa Gail Perry (2010), “Dreams and Taboos: A Comparison of Home Loan Advertising in Saudi Arabia and the U.S.,” International Journal of Consumer Marketing, 22(2), 199-212.
- Perry, Vanessa G. and Carol M. Motley (2009), “Reading the Fine Print: Advertising and the Subprime Mortgage Crisis,” California Management Review, 51 (1), Fall 2009.
- Perry, Vanessa G. (2019), “A Loan at Last? Race and Racism in Mortgage Lending,” in Race in the Marketplace: Crossing Critical Boundaries, G.D. Johnson, K.D. Thomas, A.K. Harrison, S. A. Grier, editors: Palgrave MacMillan: Cham, Switzerland, 173-192.
Book Chapters & Practitioner Publications
Perry, Vanessa G. (2019), “A Loan at Last? Race and Racism in Mortgage Lending,” in Race in the Marketplace: Crossing Critical Boundaries, G.D. Johnson, K.D. Thomas, A.K. Harrison, S. A. Grier, editors: Palgrave
MacMillan: Cham, Switzerland, 173-192.
Olsen, Nils, Vanessa G. Perry and Zhuo Jin (2018), “Cognition, Distraction, and the Financial Planning Client,” in Client Psychology, C. Chaffin, editor: Wiley Publishers: New York.
Perry, Vanessa G. (2018), “One More Score? Consumer Confusion, Credit Scoring, and Homeownership Opportunities,” White Paper, FICO.
- Perry, Vanessa G. (2012), “Charging Ahead: An Exploratory Study of Financial Decision-Making among Millennial Consumers,” in Consumer Knowledge and Financial Decisions: Lifespan Decisions, Doug Lamdin, editor, Springer: New York.
- Perry, Vanessa G. (2008), “The Dearth and Life of Subprime Data: An Overview of Data Sources for Market Modeling.”
This report, commissioned by the National Association of Real Estate Brokers, presents the current state of homeownership for Black households in the U.S. It provides a detailed analysis of market opportunities for Black homebuyers, key demographic and economic characteristics that differentiate Black homeowners, a profile of Black mortgage loan applicants and borrowers, and recommendations for impactful public policy interventions.
In this video, Vanessa Perry discusses the digital intersection of business and society.