Robert A. Van Order
- Oliver Carr Chair in Real Estate; Co-Chair, Department of Finance; Professor of Finance & Economics
- Department of Finance
- Funger Hall
2201 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20052
- [email protected]
Robert Van Order holds the Oliver Carr Chair in Real Estate at the George Washington University, and is the co-chair of the Department of Finance and a professor of finance and economics. He was chief economist of Freddie Mac from 1987 until 2002. In that capacity he worked on the development of Freddie Mac models of mortgage default, prepayment and pricing; approaches to risk, capital structure and capital requirements; mortgage market structure; and analysis of housing and the economy. Before that he served as director of the Housing Finance Analysis Division at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
He has taught at the University of California, Los Angeles, Purdue University, the University of Southern California, Queens University in Canada, American University in Washington, D.C., Ohio State University, the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Aberdeen in Scotland and the University of Michigan. He has consulted on mortgage markets in Sri Lanka, India, Latvia, Russia, Ghana, Nicaragua, Brazil, Egypt, Colombia, Poland and Pakistan.
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellow
- George Bloom Distinguished Service Award: American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, 2007
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1972
M.A., University of Essex, 1967
B.A., Grinnell College, 1966
- Seminar in Real Estate
- FInancing Real Estate
- Housing Finance
- Financial Markets
- Housing Policy
- Real Estate Economics
- “Unemployment, Inflation, and Monetarism: A Further Analysis,” American Economic Review, 1977.
- “Pricing under Spatial Competition and Spatial Monopoly,” (with D. Capozza), Econometrica, September 1977.
- “A Generalized Model of Spatial Competition,” (with D. Capozza), American Economic Review, 1978.
- “Inflation, Housing Costs, and the Consumer Price Index,” (with A. Dougherty), American Economic Review, 1982.
- “FHA Mortgage Terminations: A Prelude to Rational Mortgage Pricing,” (with C. Foster), AREUEA Journal, 1985.
- “Pricing Mortgages: An Interpretation of Models and Results,” (with P. Hendershott), Journal of Financial Services Research, 1987.
- “Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options,” with Y. Deng and J. Quigley, Econometrica, 2000.
- “The Structure of Mortgage Markets in the United States: a Model of Dueling Charters,” The Journal of Housing Research, 2001.
- “A Model of Financial Structure and Financial Fragility.” Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 2006.
- “Momentum and House Price Growth in the U.S: Anatomy of a Bubble,” with Rose Lai. Real Estate Economics, 2010.
- “Deconstructing the Subprime Debacle Using New Indices of Underwriting Quality and Economic Conditions: A First Look,” with Charles Anderson, and Dennis R. Capozza, Journal of Money Credit and Banking. June 2011