- Associate Professor of Management
- Funger Hall
2201 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20052
- [email protected]
Patrick P. McHugh (PhD in labor & industrial relations, Michigan State University) is an associate professor of management at the George Washington University School of Business. He received a BS in business administration at Bowling Green State University and an MA in economics from Washington State University. He has served as a consultant to private sector firms, government agencies, nonprofits, and several labor organizations, such as Ford Motor Company, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, UAW-Ford National Education and Development Training Center, American Pharmacists Association, and the American Federation of County and Municipal Employees Union.
He has received several awards for teaching and mentoring students. In addition to teaching undergraduate, graduate, and executive education classes at George Washington University, he has taught at Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques in Paris, France, as well as at Michigan State University, and Bowling Green State University.
His research has appeared in Industrial Relations, Industrial & Labor Relations Review, Human Relations, Journal of Labor Research, Economic and Industrial Democracy, Personnel Review, Journal of Organizational Change Management, and the Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
Ph.D., Michigan State University
M.A., Washington State University
B.S., Bowlign Green State University
- McHugh, Patrick P. (2017), “The Impact of Compensation, Supervision and Work Design on Internship Efficacy: Implications for Educators, Employers and Prospective Interns.” Journal of Education and Work, 30(4), pp. 367-382.
- McHugh, Patrick P. (2009), “Batter up, student on deck: The utility of Moneyball in management education,” Journal of Management Education, 33(2), pp.219-238.
- Bodah, Matthew M., McHugh, Patrick P., and Yim, Seong J. (2008), “Employee involvement programs and collective bargaining: The role of labor relations climate,” Journal of Collective Negotiations, 32(3), pp. 245-260.
- McHugh, Patrick P. (2007), “Collective Bargaining Context and Worker Attitudes: Comparing Team and Traditional Work Systems,” Journal of Labor Research 28, 697-713.
- Zgarrick, D.P., McHugh, P.P., Droege, M. (2006), “Prevalence of and interest in unionization among staff pharmacists,” Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 2, 329-346.
- Park, H., McHugh, P.P., Bodah, M.M. (2006), “Revisiting General and Specific Union Beliefs: The Union-Voting Intentions of Professionals,” Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy & Society, 45(2), pp. 270-289.
- McHugh, Patrick P., Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, and Bridge, Diane L. (2005), “Examining Structure and Process in ESOP Firms,” Personnel Review, 34(3), pp. 277-293.
- Kossek, E.E., Markel, K.S. and McHugh, P.P. (2003), “Increasing Diversity as an HRM Change Strategy,” Journal of Organizational Change Management, 16(3), 328-352.
- McHugh, Patrick P. and Bodah, Matthew M. (2002), “Challenges to Professionalism and Union Voting Intentions: The Case of Pharmacists,” Journal of Labor Research, 23(4), 659-671.
- McHugh, Patrick P., Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel & Polzin, Michael. (1999), “Employee Stock Ownership Plans: Union Influence and Stakeholder Interests,” Economic and Industrial Democracy, 20(4), 535-560.
- McHugh, Patrick P. (1999), “Pharmacists = Attitudes Regarding Quality of Worklife,” Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, 39(5), 667-676.
- Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Joel, McHugh, Patrick P. & Power, Donald (1996), “Collective Bargaining in Small Firms: Preliminary Evidence of Fundamental Change,” Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 49(2), 195-212.
- McHugh, Patrick. P. (1995), “Tension Between U.S. Labor Law and Work Restructuring: A Focus on Team-Based Work Systems,” Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal , 8(2), 111- 132.
- Reed, Celeste, Young, Willard R. & McHugh, Patrick P. (1994), “A Comparative Look at Dual Commitment: An International Study,” Human Relations, 47(10), 1269-1293.
- Graham, M.E. & McHugh, P.M. (in press), “Labor stakeholder views of HR professionals: Implications for graduate HR education,” in V. Scarpello (Ed.), A Collection of Thoughts on Human Resource Management Education in the United States, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Kozlowski, S.W.J., Gully, S.M., McHugh, P.P., Salas, E. & Cannon-Bowers, J.A. (1996), “A Dynamic Theory of Leadership and Team Effectiveness: Developmental and Task Contingent Leader Roles,” in G.R. Ferris (Ed.), Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management(Vol. 14, pp. 253-305). Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press.