- Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor of Management and Tourism
- Funger Hall
2201 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20052
- [email protected]
Dr. Jungho Suh is a visiting teaching assistant professor of management and tourism studies at the George Washington University School of Business (GWSB). He joined GWSB from the Surrey International Institute at Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (SII-DUFE), China, where he served as assistant professor of tourism management for three years. His areas of expertise include destination branding, destination marketing, sustainable tourism management, social media marketing, hospitality marketing, service management, and the sharing economy.
Dr. Suh teaches undergraduate and MTA courses in hospitality management, digital marketing in hospitality and tourism, destination management, travel marketing communications, and conference and exhibition management. His teaching approach aims to design a collaborative team-based learning environment to cultivate students’ leadership and critical-thinking abilities in the context of hospitality and tourism.
To this end, Dr. Suh focuses on organizing learning communities within the classroom to advance collective knowledge in support of the development of personal knowledge. Moreover, to enhance his pedagogy, Dr. Suh completed two teaching certificates in evidence-based teaching from the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL).
Dr. Suh’s research interests are within the tourism and hospitality marketing domains. He takes interdisciplinary approaches drawing from both the marketing and communication disciplines to investigate the dynamics of stakeholders in the tourism and hospitality industry. He has been involved in a number of research projects in tourism and hospitality management funded by or in collaboration with the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO); the US Department of Agriculture (USDA); South Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism; the Korea Tourism Organization; the Seoul Metropolitan Government, and Oakland County, Michigan.
Dr. Suh’s education has focused on tourism, hospitality, and convention management.
His pursuit of knowledge in these fields began during his undergraduate years, at the end of which he earned co-terminal bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the College of Hotel and Tourism Management at Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea, where he graduated magna cum laude. In recognition of this distinction, Dr. Suh achieved early graduation by completing the undergraduate and graduate programs of 12 academic terms in 10 academic terms at Kyung Hee University. During his Ph.D. program in sustainable tourism management at Michigan State University, he pursued graduate specialization in hospitality business at the School of Hospitality Business.
In his undergraduate years, Dr. Suh performed his mandatory two-year military service, in the process being elected to what is referred to as the Korean Augmentation to the U.S. Army program. He served as a non-commissioned officer specializing in administration for the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID). This experience taught him how to endure and succeed in a highly challenging work environment. Accordingly, when he reentered academia, the experience gave him the enormously valuable benefit of discipline.
He is also an avid theatre-goer, art lover, traveler, and foodie at heart.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- An, S., & Suh, J. (in press). Tourists’ motivation, involvement, and engagement in food tourism. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research.
- An, S., Suh, J., & Eck, T. C. (2019). Examining structural relationships among service quality, perceived value, satisfaction and revisit intention for Airbnb guests. International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 19(3), 145-165.
- Suh, J., & Kim, C. (2012). Investigating relationship between decision making of tourists and social media: A content analysis approach. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 36(10), 125-148.
- McCole, D., Suh, J, & Miller, C. “Oakland County: ORV park report.” Oakland County, MI Technical report, 2014.
- Kim, C., & Suh, J. “Development Plan for Gyeongju Convention Center (HICO).” Gyeongju City Government, Technical report, 2012.
- Kim. C., Suh, J., et al. “A Development of Indicators for Urban Tourism Competitiveness.” Seoul Metropolitan Government, Technical report, 2010.
- Kim, C., Suh, J., et al. “Cluster Group for Developing a Future Convention Destination, 2010 Report.” Seoul Development Institute (SDI), Technical report, 2010.
- Suh, J., An, S., & Eck, T. (July 2018). “Traveling Like A Local: A Study of the Relationships among Customer Engagement, Satisfaction and Behavioral Intentions of Airbnb Users.” Paper presented at the 2018 Global Marketing Conference, Tokyo, Japan.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Kim M. (January 2017). “The Effects of EWOM through Social Media on Destination Branding.” Paper presented at The 22nd Annual Graduate Education & Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality & Tourism, Houston, TX.
- Suh, J., Kim, S., & McCole, D. (April 2016). “Understanding Effects of Social Earned Media and Owned Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2016 KAHTEA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Suh, J., Kim, S., & McCole, D. (July 2015). “Effects of Social Media versus Traditional Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2015 ICHRIE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Kim, S. (July 2015). “Understanding Effects of Social Earned Media and Controlled Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2015 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Seoul, South Korea.
- Suh, J., & McCole, D. (April 2014). “Understanding Off-Highway Vehicle Recreationist Preferences among Different Types of Vehicle Users.” Paper presented at 2014 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium, Cooperstown, NY.
- McCole, D. & Suh, J. (June 2013). “Using Stated Preference Method to Inform Initial Design and Capital Investments for Tourism Attraction.” Paper presented at 2013 Travel & Tourism Research Association (TTRA) 44th Annual International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Carmichael, C. (May 2013). “Recreational Specialization and Motivations among Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Users in Michigan.” Paper presented at 2013 National Outdoor Recreation Conference, Traverse City, MI.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Holecek, D. (April 2013). “A Comparison of Mail and Internet Survey Procedures.” Paper presented at 2013 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium, Cooperstown, NY.
- Ph.D. in Tourism and Hospitality Marketing, Michigan State University, 2017
- MS in Hotel and Tourism Management, Kyung Hee University (Seoul, Korea), 2012
- BS in Convention Management, Kyung Hee University (Seoul, Korea), 2010
- Hospitality Marketing
- Destination Branding
- Social Media Marketing
- Conference and Exhibition Management
- Sharing Economy in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry