Dr. Jungho Suh is a teaching assistant professor of management at the George Washington University School of Business (GWSB). Dr. Suh also serves as a project director of the Korean Management Institute. Prior to joining GWSB, he was an assistant professor at the Surrey International Institute at Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (SII-DUFE), China. His areas of expertise include service management, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I), entrepreneurship, human resource issues in the service industry, sustainability & ESG reporting in the travel industry, digital platforms in tourism & hospitality, and gastronomy tourism.
Dr. Suh teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in management and entrepreneurship. His teaching approach aims to design a collaborative team-based learning environment to cultivate students’ leadership and critical-thinking abilities. To this end, Dr. Suh focuses on organizing learning communities within the classroom to advance collective knowledge in support of personal knowledge development.
Dr. Suh’s research interests are within multiple management domains. He takes interdisciplinary approaches drawing from both the management and communication disciplines to investigate the dynamics of stakeholders in the service industry.
He has been involved in a number of consulting projects funded by or in collaboration with the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO); the US Department of Agriculture (USDA); South Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism; the Korea Tourism Organization; the Seoul Metropolitan Government, Oakland County, Michigan, Jackson Hole Travel and Tourism Board, and Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska.
His pursuit of knowledge in the fields of business management began during his undergraduate years, at the end of which he earned co-terminal bachelor’s and master’s degrees (the 4+1 program) from the College of Hotel and Tourism Management at Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea, where he graduated magna cum laude. During his Ph.D. program in the Department of Community Sustainability at Michigan State University, he pursued graduate specialization in hospitality business at the School of Hospitality Business, Broad College of Business. In his undergraduate years, Dr. Suh performed his mandatory two-year military service, in the process of being elected to what is referred to as the Korean Augmentation to the U.S. Army program. He served as a non-commissioned officer specializing in administration for the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID). This experience taught him how to endure and succeed in a highly challenging work environment. Accordingly, when he reentered academia, the experience gave him the enormously valuable benefit of discipline.
He is also an avid theatre-goer, art lover, traveler, and foodie at heart.
- Service Management
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Human Resource Issues in the Service Industry
- Sustainability & ESG Reporting in the Travel Industry
- Ph.D. in Sustainable Tourism Management & Hospitality Business, Michigan State University, 2017
- M.S. in Hotel and Tourism Management, Kyung Hee University (Seoul, Korea), 2012
- B.S. in Hotel and Tourism Management, Kyung Hee University (Seoul, Korea), 2010
- BADM 3103 Human Capital in Organizations
- MGT 4900/6282 New Venture Initiation
- MGT 6280 Entrepreneurship
- MGT 6290 Trends in Korean Management
- TSTD 4301W Travel Marketing Communication (WID)
- TSTD 6249 Sustainable Destination Development
- TSTD 6296 Hospitality Digital Marketing
- TSTD 6278 Conference & Exposition Management
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- An, S., Kim, W., Lee, B., & Suh, J. (2022). A study on the tourism-related information consumption process of tourists on social networking sites. Sustainability, 14(7), 3980.
- Suh, J., An, S., & Eck, T. C. (2022). A study of customer engagement, satisfaction and behavioral intentions among Airbnb users. International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 20(1), 26-39.
- Lee, B., An, S., & Suh, J. (2021). How do tourists with disabilities respond to service failure? An application of affective events theory. Tourism Management Perspectives, 38, 100806.
- An, S., & Suh, J. (2020). Tourists’ food tourism motivation, involvement, and engagement in food tourism. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 32(6), 469-486.
- An, S., Suh, J., & Eck, T. C. (2019). Examining structural relationships among service quality, perceived value, satisfaction, and revisit intention for Airbnb guests. International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 19(3), 145-165.
- Suh, J., & Kim, C. (2012). Investigating relationship between decision making of tourists and social media: A content analysis approach. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 36(10), 125-148.
- McCole, D., Suh, J, & Miller, C. "Oakland County: ORV park report." Oakland County, MI Technical report, 2014.
- Kim, C., & Suh, J. "Development Plan for Gyeongju Convention Center (HICO)." Gyeongju City Government, Technical report, 2012.
- Kim. C., Suh, J., et al. "A Development of Indicators for Urban Tourism Competitiveness." Seoul Metropolitan Government, Technical report, 2010.
- Kim, C., Suh, J., et al. "Cluster Group for Developing a Future Convention Destination, 2010 Report." Seoul Development Institute (SDI), Technical report, 2010.
- Suh, J. (June 2022). “Entrepreneurship in the Travel Industry — Understanding Entrepreneurial Ecosystems.” Presented at the ICSB Academy Executive Edition, ICSB World Congress 2022, Online & Washington, DC.
- Suh, J. (October 2021). “The Impact of Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Reporting in Hospitality & Tourism.” Presented at the GW October Conference 2021, Washington, DC.
- Suh, J. (July 2021). “Entrepreneurship in the Travel Industry.” Presented at the ICSB Academy Executive Edition, ICSB World Congress 2021, Online.
- Suh, J. (June 2021). “Technology for Innovation and Humane Entrepreneurship in the Travel Industry.” Presented at the ICSB Humane Entrepreneurship Conference, Online.
- Suh, J. (October 2020). “Disruptive Innovation in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.” Presented at the GW October Conference 2020, Washington, DC.
- Suh, J., An, S., & Eck, T. (July 2018). “Traveling Like A Local: A Study of the Relationships among Customer Engagement, Satisfaction and Behavioral Intentions of Airbnb Users.” Paper presented at the 2018 Global Marketing Conference, Tokyo, Japan.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Kim M. (January 2017). “The Effects of EWOM through Social Media on Destination Branding.” Paper presented at The 22nd Annual Graduate Education & Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality & Tourism, Houston, TX.
- Suh, J., Kim, S., & McCole, D. (April 2016). “Understanding Effects of Social Earned Media and Owned Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2016 KAHTEA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Suh, J., Kim, S., & McCole, D. (July 2015). “Effects of Social Media versus Traditional Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2015 ICHRIE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Kim, S. (July 2015). “Understanding Effects of Social Earned Media and Controlled Media in Destination Branding.” Paper presented at 2015 TOSOK International Tourism Conference, Seoul, South Korea.
- Suh, J., & McCole, D. (April 2014). “Understanding Off-Highway Vehicle Recreationist Preferences among Different Types of Vehicle Users.” Paper presented at 2014 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium, Cooperstown, NY.
- McCole, D. & Suh, J. (June 2013). “Using Stated Preference Method to Inform Initial Design and Capital Investments for Tourism Attraction.” Paper presented at 2013 Travel & Tourism Research Association (TTRA) 44th Annual International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Carmichael, C. (May 2013). “Recreational Specialization and Motivations among Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Users in Michigan.” Paper presented at 2013 National Outdoor Recreation Conference, Traverse City, MI.
- Suh, J., McCole, D., & Holecek, D. (April 2013). “A Comparison of Mail and Internet Survey Procedures.” Paper presented at 2013 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium, Cooperstown, NY.