The On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) Program allows students to interview on GW’s campus for job opportunities with a wide range of organizations, including non-profit, government, and corporations.
On-Campus Recruiting takes place during the Fall and Spring semesters. Typically, full-time hiring for the following summer occurs in the FALL. Intern hiring typically occurs in the SPRING. However, you can expect some organizations recruiting for both full-time and internship positions to be conducting interviews during both semesters.
Many employers also host on-campus information sessions and/or presentations. It is advised that you attend these events for the companies you are interested in to take advantage of the opportunity network with recruiters and/or company representatives. View and RSVP to information sessions in Handshake > Events > Information Sessions.
To participate in OCR, you must have an account in Handshake, our online recruiting system. This system manages the OCR program and allows you to find and apply to jobs and schedule interviews. To get started, all students must participate in a mandatory online GWSB OCR Orientation (the link can be found below and is also located in Handshake), which will teach you how to use the OCR module in Handshake and review policies and guidelines for participating in the program. Once you have passed the quiz at the end of the orientation, you will be taken to a form to request access to OCR. The career center manually approves access, and you can expect to gain access to the program within 48 hours of submitting your request. Interviews take place in either the University Career Center in Old Main (corner of 20th and F) or in Duques Hall (corner of 22nd and G). Log into Handshake to view the orientation and get started.
As in any other job-searching activity, your participation in the OCR Program is governed by the policies in the Student Code of Conduct. Students are held to the following standards with regard to their participation in the OCR Program:
- Resume Submission: Candidates will apply only for positions in which they have a genuine interest. Applications submitted may only be withdrawn prior to the withdrawal deadline posted on Handshake. Candidates who are chosen for an interview are required to sign up for an interview time. Candidates who must withdraw their resume after the resume withdraw deadline will contact OCR staff immediately.
- Cancellations: Candidates are strongly discouraged from canceling scheduled interviews for any reason. If a candidate must cancel an interview due to illness, emergency, or acceptance of another job offer, he/she must notify OCR staff at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled interview. Failure to do so will result in the candidate’s Handshake account being “blocked,” prohibiting the candidate from further participation in the OCR program. Students are permitted two (2) cancellations per interview season before being “blocked.” Again, candidates are strongly discouraged from canceling interviews for any reason. Chronic offenders risk the chance of being “blocked” completely from the program.
- No Show Policy: Candidates who do not appear for/keep a scheduled interview (“no-show”) and do not inform the OCR staff of such will have their Handshake account blocked, thereby prohibiting further participation in the OCR program. To appeal a “block” in Handshake, the candidate must call the FDFCC to schedule an appointment to discuss the situation.
- Attire: Business professional attire (business suit) is required for all on-campus interviews.
- Withdrawal from OCR: Candidates will notify the OCR staff of an acceptance of an offer from an employer so they can be withdrawn from the program.
Contact the F. David Fowler Career Center OCR staff – [email protected] or 202-994-6704.
- Undergraduate Student Resources
- Graduate Career Management
- Alumni Career Resources
- Communities of Practice
- Contact the Fowler Career Center
- GW University No-Show Policy
- Recruit at GWSB
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052