The Community of Practice model was created to bridge GW students’ academic experiences with professional opportunities and success, both in regards to summer/school year internships and full-time roles after graduation. The CoP is divided into two main tracks: finance and consulting. Over the course of the upcoming school year, students will work closely with industry mentors, faculty, and peers to deepen their knowledge, prepare for recruiting, and develop essential skills for advancement.
Each CoP provides student participants with exposure to industry mentors at top firms – such as Bain, EY, Deloitte, IBM, and McKinsey for consulting and bulge bracket banks including Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, and JPMorgan for finance.
CoP Application Eligibility
- The Finance CoP is open to GWSB undergraduate students (freshmen, sophomores, juniors).
- The Consulting CoP is open to both GWSB undergraduate (incoming sophomores and juniors) and graduate students (incoming or existing first-year students). It is also open to a limited number of rising juniors in the Elliott School of International Affairs (undergraduates graduating between December 2022 and May 2023). Applications from ESIA will go through a separate review process and may require interviews.
Students in the Consulting CoP can expect the following:
- One-on-one mentorship for case interviewing, job search strategies, personal branding, and networking for consulting jobs
- Experiential learning through pro-bono consulting projects with both non-profit and for-profit clients
- Opportunities to gain industry-specific skills training led by consultants from top firms
Students in the Finance CoP can expect the following:
- Bootcamps for resume building and mock interviewing
- Industry specific knowledge and education from alums in various banking sectors
- Ability to apply for REFA membership
To learn more, please register through Handshake using the links below for one of the following CoP info sessions:
- Monday, April 12 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 14 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 20 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 22 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Further questions? Email [email protected].