- Teaching Assistant Professor of Accountancy
- Department of Accountancy
- Funger Hall
2201 G St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20052
- [email protected]
William Stromsem is a teaching assistant professor of Accountancy at the George Washington University School of Business.
I was a history major at the College of Wooster. I graduated during the Viet Nam war and for military service, I went to Coast Guard OCS to become a commissioned officer. I served two years on North Atlantic weather and ice patrol. I then was assigned to Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, D.C., where I worked in environmental protection, specifically oil pollution regulation and enforcement. After the military, I went to law school where I was on law review at Washington College of Law (American University). With my J.D. in hand, I took a job in the tax department of Arthur Andersen, doing estate planning and income taxes for top individual clients. From there I went to the American Institute of CPAs Tax Division where I spent most of my career, eventually becoming the Director of the Tax Division. I was responsible for lobbying for many years and then for development of tax practice guides to assist members in serving clients. I wrote articles for The Tax Adviser and the Journal of Accountancy and spoke at various national conferences. Since retiring from the AICPA, I have been consulting with the Texas Society of CPAs where I have written various articles and blog, including a major publication defending of energy tax breaks.
I currently serve on the board of Community Tax Aid, the largest low-income tax return preparation clinic in the D.C. area.
I’m married with four daughters, four sons-in-law, four granddaughters and four grandsons.
- Juris Doctorate, Washington College of Law (American University), 1974
- Accountancy Certificate, American University, 1974
- Bachelors, College of Wooster, 1969
- Various tax articles for The Tax Adviser magazine and Journal of Accountancy.
- AICPA FIN 48 Practice Guide
- Texas Society of CPAs Defense of Energy Tax Incentives
- Individual Taxes
- Business Taxes
- Intro to Financial Accounting
- Estate and Gift Taxes
- IRS Tax Practice and Procedures
- Law Review, Washington College of Law
- Journal of Accountancy—Article recognized as one of the top ten for the year