Choose from one of 24 for-credit graduate certificate programs, or enroll in one of six professional development certificate programs offered by a research center or institute at the GW School of Business (GWSB).
- Artificial Intelligence*
- Business Analytics
- Business Foundations
- Capital Markets
- Cloud, Applications and Information Technology*
- Corporate Responsibility*
- Creativity, Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Digital Marketing & Communications
- Financial Management
- Global Management*
- Government and Nonprofit Accounting*
- Hospitality Management
- Human Capital
- Investments & Portfolio Management
- Management Leadership
- Management of Technology & Innovation
- Managing the Digital Organization*
- Marketing & Brand Management
- Project Management
- Sport Management
- Strategic Management*
- Tourism Management*
- Walkable Urban Real Estate Development
*new certificate launching in Fall 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
Expand the tab below to browse information related to our graduate certificates.
- Who can apply to the GWSB Graduate Certificate Program?
- Who benefits from earning a graduate certificate?
- What documents need to be included with the online application?
- What background do students need to qualify for admission to the Graduate Certificate Program?
- Can credits earned in a graduate certificate program be applied to a specialized master’s or MBA program?
- How long does it take before I get an admission’s decision?
- What is the cost of a graduate certificate?
- Where do I send official transcripts and other application documents?
Program and Schedule
- When can students begin a graduate certificate?
- When and where do classes meet?
- How many classes are needed to complete a graduate certificate?
- Can graduate certificates be completed online?
- Do any graduate certificates have prerequisites?
- How long does it take to complete a graduate certificate?
- If I have more questions about the Graduate Certificate Program, who can I contact?
Any professional who would like to enroll in a part-time GW School of Business graduate certificate program. The graduate certificate program is not a degree-granting program; therefore, international applicants are not eligible to apply, because they cannot be granted a student visa.
This program is designed to give working professionals the opportunity to learn while they earn. Certificate students take twelve credits in a dedicated subject at the GW School of Business (GWSB). GWSB professors teach all graduate students, including students in Graduate Certificate programs.
Transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate academic institution, a professional resume, two letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. GMAT or GRE scores are not needed.
Students must have an undergraduate bachelor’s degree. Current GWU graduate students must be in good standing to apply to and be admitted into the Graduate Certificate Program. First semester GW graduate students must have grades posted for the first term to be admitted into a certificate.
Yes, if these credits and courses are within the elective courses of the master’s or MBA program. Graduate certificate students apply separately to the master’s or MBA program after they have completed the entire 12 credit hours and earned the certificate. Credit hours expire after five years.
Once the application file has been marked complete, it is sent to the admissions committee for review. The review process takes several weeks. An applicant will then be notified and will receive an admissions decision by email.
Each class is either 1.5 or three credit hours. Tuition rates per credit hour may be found here. Information about any additional fees can be found on the Student Accounts Office, Finance Division website. The phone number is (202) 994-7350.
There are no scholarships awarded for the tuition of a graduate certificate. However, if after completing a graduate certificate, a student wants to earn a master’s degree, the tuition paid during the certificate program may be applied to the cost of the master’s degree. Merit-based scholarships are awarded for master’s programs.
Applicants attach them their online application. If they do not have official documents at the time of application submission, they can email official documents to [email protected]. Email is the preferred method of receiving official documents, transcripts and test scores.
OR official documents may be mailed to:
The GW School of Business, Graduate Admissions
Duquès Hall, Suite 550
2201 G St NW Washington, D.C. 20052
Semesters begin in August (fall) or January (spring). The application is online. The application deadline is posted on the GWSB website. Admission decisions are released several weeks after the receipt of a complete application.
GWSB classes are offered on the Foggy Bottom campus in downtown Washington, D.C. Classes are held once or twice a week, often starting in the late afternoon or early evening, to accommodate a working professional’s schedule. All classes are taught by GWSB professors. Your classmates are MBA and specialized master’s students.
Twelve credits are required to complete a graduate certificate. Each certificate offers a combination of required and elective courses. Semester-long classes are three credit hours. Half-semester classes are 1.5 credit hours. To earn the certificate, all 12 credits must be completed at GWSB. No transfer credits are accepted and no merit-based scholarship aid is awarded.
Currently, only the Project Management graduate certificate is offered completely online. In the upcoming academic years, GWSB plans to offer more and more classes online.
Yes, for Business Analytics, applicants must have completed statistics, calculus, higher level math (such as linear algebra), and computer programming. For Business Information Systems, applicants must have completed database programming.
This is a part-time program. Students attend one or two classes per semester. These classes are held once or twice a week, often in the late afternoon or early evening. In accordance with GW School of Business policy, course work must be completed within five years of admission. The shortest time-frame a student can complete a certificate is within two to three semesters, depending on when courses are offered.
For answers to questions about the application process or admission requirements, contact the GW School of Business Graduate Admissions Office at (202) 994-1212 or [email protected].
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052