The Graduate Certificate in Business Foundations provides students with a solid grounding in the essential disciplines of business. Designed for students without a business degree or formal business education, the program offers functional instruction in accounting, marketing, finance, organizational behavior and human resource management.
Pathway to a MBA
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Foundations are guaranteed admission for our Professional MBA or Online MBA programs. If you are considering an MBA and want to get a feel for the courses, the Graduate Certificate in Business Foundations is an excellent opportunity. All of the courses you take for the certificate will fulfill required courses for the MBA, and you will get a certificate credential along the way.
- Completion of all credits of the coursework listed below
- Achievement of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of completion
In addition, students should be aware of the following course application limitations:
- Courses taken as a non-degree student are not eligible to be applied towards the certificate.
- Students may only apply a course towards two program requirements (for example, MBAD 6224 may only be applied towards the MBA and one graduate certificate; the course cannot be applied towards the requirements of any other degree or certificate program beyond the two programs).
- Students who opt to complete two graduate certificates may only double count up to six credits between the two. All remaining requirements (typically, 18 credits for two certificates) must be unique to each certificate.
*Please note: current MBA students at the GWU School of Business are not eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Business Foundations.
Required Courses - 12 Credits
- MBAD 6211 Financial Accounting (3 cr.)
- MBAD 6235 Finance (3 cr. – must be taken after MBAD 6211)
- MBAD 6263 Organizations & Human Capital (3 cr.)
- MBAD 6274 Marketing (3 cr.)
- Undergraduate Programs
- Specialized Master's
- Executive Education
- Doctoral Programs
- Certificate Programs
- Artificial Intelligence
- Business Analytics
- Business Foundations
- Business Information Systems
- Capital Markets
- Cloud, Applications and Information Technology
- Corporate Responsibility
- Digital Marketing & Communications
- Financial Management
- Global Management
- Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting
- Hospitality Management
- Human Capital
- Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship
- Investments & Portfolio Management
- Management Leadership
- Management of Technology & Innovation
- Managing the Digital Organization
- Marketing & Brand Management
- Project Management
- Responsible Management
- Sport Management
- Strategic Management
- Tourism Management
- Walkable Urban Real Estate Development
- Online Programs
- Global & Experiential Education
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052