Welcome to The Advising Center
Our office serves as the academic resource hub for all undergraduate students in the School of Business.
Duquès Hall, Suite 456
2201 G St NW
Washington, DC 20052
*Please note: Advising Center Availability during the Summer semester*
The Advising Center will be closed the following dates:
Thursday, July 2nd (2:00pm-6:00pm)
Friday, July 3rd
Wednesday, July 15th (9:00am-12:00pm)
Thursday, July 16th (9:00am-12:00pm)
Monday, July 20th (9:00am-12:00pm)
Tuesday, July 21st (9:00am-12:00pm)
Wednesday, July 22nd (12:00pm-6:00pm)
Friday, August 21st
Monday, June 18th – Friday, August 14th: on days the University & Advising Center are open, Advising Center staff will be available to meet with students during Express Advising from 9:30am – 11:00 am. Appointments are available throughout the week which can be scheduled directly with your academic advisor via email.
Your advisor may be out of the office throughout the Summer Semester, in which case you will need to allow more time for a response to your emails.
Monday – Friday | 9:30am – 11:00am
Get quick answers to quick questions!
Students can meet with an advisor-on-duty for 15 minutes or less about: clarification on forms & policies, quick-reference information, declaring a concentration/major/minor, and brief questions about scheduling and curriculum requirements.
The following topics cannot be addressed during Express Advising, but can be taken care of during an appointment slot:
- planning for study abroad
- graduation estimates
- long-term scheduling recommendations
- major/minor exploratory conversations
- prospective internal transfer questions
- articulation of external transfer credits
- documentation needed for internships
- ISO requests
Monday – Friday | Morning & afternoon availability
Students can schedule a 30-minute appointment with their GWSB advisor to discuss any kind of question. Simply email your Academic Advisor to schedule an appointment.
Who is your advisor?
Our staff listing includes information on who you should meet with. General schedule & curriculum questions should be directed to the GWSB advisor per the listed alpha split. Questions about Study Abroad, External Transfers, Individualized Fields, and 5-year Program should be directed to the advisor(s) who oversees those specialty areas.
Mission of the Advising Center
The GWSB Advising Center supports and empowers our students to achieve their educational goals through:
- Goal Setting/Academic Planning: We work with students to develop a plan to ensure timely completion of their educational goals.
- Development: We are committed to empowering students to make decisions, grow, and develop into independent thinkers and learners as they advance through their educational process at GWSB.
- Advocacy: We serve as our students’ advocates when appropriate, both within the University and to external parties.
- Resources: We provide our students with information to help develop their academic skills by referring them to the appropriate academic resources.
- Logistics: We provide students with the tools to access the necessary resources at GW to achieve success, which will serve as a foundation for future means of adapting to new environments.
- Advising Services: The Advising Center assists students in the following areas:
- Course Selection
- Concentration/Major/Minor Selection
- Interpreting University Policies and Procedures
- Study Abroad Advising
- Tutoring Referrals
- Academic Success and Academic Probation Coaching
- Registration for Independent Research
- Graduation Clearance
- Dean’s Certifications
- Petitions for Exceptions to Academic Policies
We are available to assist students with any problems or questions that arise during their careers as GWSB undergraduate students.