Welcome to The Advising Center
Our office serves as the academic resource hub for all undergraduate students in the School of Business.
Duquès Hall, Suite 456
2201 G St NW
Washington, DC 20052
Front Desk hours:
Monday through Friday | 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
PLEASE NOTE: Advising Center availability during Winter Break:
- Friday, December 19: the Advising Center will be closed for staff development.
- Monday, December 22 – Friday, January 3: on days the University is open, Advising Center staff will only be available to meet with students during Express Advising from 9:30 – 11:00 am. Appointments at other times will resume on Monday, January 5, 2015.
- The University will be closed on December 24-25 and December 31-January 1.
- Wednesday, January 7: the Advising Team will be at staff training, so Express Advising and appointments will not be available.
Your advisor may be out of the office during Winter Break, in which case you will need to allow more time for a response to your emails.
Express Advising Hours:
Monday through Friday | 9:30 – 11:00 am
Get quick answers to quick questions!
No appointment needed! Students can sign in at the front desk to meet with an advisor-on-duty for 15 minutes or less about: clarification on forms & policies, quick-reference information, declaring a concentration/major/minor, and brief questions about scheduling and curriculum requirements.
The following topics CANNOT be addressed during Express Advising, but can be taken care of during a scheduled appointment:
- Planning for study abroad
- Graduation estimates
- Long-term scheduling recommendations
- Major/minor exploratory conversations
- Prospective internal transfer questions
- Articulation of external transfer credits
- Documentation needed for internships
- ISO requests
Monday through Friday | Morning and afternoon availability
Students can schedule a 30-minute appointment with their GWSB advisor to discuss any kind of question. Simply call or stop by the Advising Center to schedule an appointment.
Who is your advisor?
Our staff listing includes information on who you should meet with. General schedule & curriculum questions should be directed to the GWSB advisor per the listed alpha split. Questions about Study Abroad, External Transfers, Individualized Fields, and 5-year Program should be directed to the advisor(s) who oversees those specialty areas.
Mission of the Advising Center
The GWSB Advising Center supports and empowers our students to achieve their educational goals through:
- Goal Setting/Academic Planning: We work with students to develop a plan to ensure timely completion of their educational goals.
- Development: We are committed to empowering students to make decisions, grow, and develop into independent thinkers and learners as they advance through their educational process at GWSB.
- Advocacy: We serve as our students’ advocates when appropriate, both within the University and to external parties.
- Resources: We provide our students with information to help develop their academic skills by referring them to the appropriate academic resources.
- Logistics: We provide students with the tools to access the necessary resources at GW to achieve success, which will serve as a foundation for future means of adapting to new environments.
- Advising Services: The Advising Center assists students in the following areas:
- Course Selection
- Concentration/Major/Minor Selection
- Interpreting University Policies and Procedures
- Study Abroad Advising
- Tutoring Referrals
- Academic Success and Academic Probation Coaching
- Registration for Independent Research
- Graduation Clearance
- Dean’s Certifications
- Petitions for Exceptions to Academic Policies
We are available to assist students with any problems or questions that arise during their careers as GWSB undergraduate students.