The following requirements are for students who matriculate into the Healthcare MBA program starting fall 2016. Students who matriculated into the Healthcare MBA program prior to fall 2016 should refer to their DegreeMAPs in GWeb for any outstanding requirements they may have.
The Healthcare MBA program is 55.5 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks). Courses that are 1.5 credits are seven weeks in length and are offered either in the first or second half of a semester.
Students in the Healthcare MBA program register themselves directly through GWeb for all core and elective coursework. It is expected that students will complete their core course requirements prior to starting the elective portion of their program.
In addition, students may choose to complete one of six certificates offered by the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences. All courses required for the certificates may be applied towards the Healthcare MBA healthcare focused and/or general elective requirements.
Students must successfully complete the following course and program requirements to be eligible for the Master's of Business Administration degree.
- Achievement of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years
Students must complete 55.5 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation:
Core Courses | 31.5 Credits
- 6202 Foundational Management Topics in Health Care | 3 credits
- 6211 Financial Accounting | 3 credits
- 6213 Managerial Accounting | 1.5 credits – 6211*
- 6224 Decision Making and Data Analysis | 3 credits
- 6223 Operations Management | 1.5 credits – 6224*
- 6235 Finance | 3 credits – 6211*, 6222*, 6242*
- 6242 Microeconomics for the World Economy | 1.5 credits
- 6245 Global Perspectives | 3 credits
- 6263 Organizations & Managing Human Capital | 3 credits
- 6274 Marketing | 3 credits
- 6289 Business Ethics & Public Policy | 3 credits
- 6288 Strategic Management | 3 credits – all core courses*
* Indicates a pre-requisite course which must be completed prior to taking this course.
** Up to 6 credits of core may be waived based on previous academic coursework. See the Core Course Waiver Policy for details.
Healthcare Focused Electives | 12 Credits
Healthcare focused electives are chosen from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SOMHS). All courses are 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
- Clinical Research Administration
- Health Care Quality
- Health Sciences
- Regulatory Affairs
Students may petition to have up to 12 credits of GWU graduate-level healthcare focused courses outside of SOMHS applied to their MBA healthcare focused elective requirements. This maximum includes approved transfer credit (up to 6 credits) and graduate-level courses completed at GWU, but outside the GWSB and SOMHS.
General Electives | 12 Credits
- Internships may not be applied towards the MBA degree requirements.
- Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of courses taken at the GW Law School where courses are letter graded and then converted to a CR on the graduate transcript.
- Elective credits can be fulfilled by taking 6000+ level courses within the School of Business and School of Medicine and Health Sciences. In addition, students may enroll up to 12 credits of 6000+ level courses outside of the School of Business at GWU; up to six (6) of the 12 credits can be fulfilled outside of The George Washington University. This 12-credit maximum includes all approved transfer credit, graduate-level healthcare focused courses completed outside of SOMHS, and graduate-level courses completed at GWU outside of the GWSB.
- Students may complete an elective concentration by completing the 12 unique credits of required coursework as outlined by the academic department. Courses applied to a concentration requirement may not be double counted between different concentrations nor core requirements. See each concentration for details.
- Undergraduate Programs
- MBA Programs
- Specialized Master's Programs
- Graduate & Professional Certificates
- Online Degrees
- Executive Education
- Doctoral Programs
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052