- The Dwight D. Eisenhower Research Professor of Tourism Policy Chair of the International Institute for Tourism Studies
- Funger Hall
2201 G Street NW
Washington, DC 20052
- [email protected]
- World Bank Africa Vice Presidential Unit Team Award
- Teaching Excellence Award, New York University
- Fulbright Senior Specialist (Tanzania)
- GWU Tourism and Hospitality Management Distinguished Alumni Award
- Statler Foundation Fellowship
Ph.D., Tourism Planning and Development, Cornell University, 1993
M.A., Tourism Research and Planning, 1990
M.P.S., Hospitality Management, Cornell University, 1984
B.A., Medieval and Renaissance Art History, University of Colorado, 1978
- Bakker, M. and Messerli, H. “Inclusive growth versus pro-poor growth: Implications for tourism development” Tourism and Hospitality Research. 2016. p 1-8. Sage Publications (UK)
- Christie, Iain; Fernandes, Eneida; Messerli, Hannah; Twining-Ward, Louise. 2013. Tourism in Africa: Harnessing tourism for growth and improved livelihoods. Washington DC; World Bank. Available at http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/723511468102894381/Tourism-in-...
- Blanke, J., Browne, C., Garcia, A. and Messerli, H. 2011. “Assessing Africa’s Travel & Tourism Competitiveness in the Wake of the Global Economic Crisis”, chapter in Africa Competitiveness Report 2011 published by World Economic Forum, African Development Bank and World Bank.
- Messerli, Hannah, “Sustainable Tourism Development: Tomorrow’s Challenge Today” and “Ecotourism: Tourism in the Tone of Green” in Travel and Tourism; An Industry Primer by Paul S. Beiderman with Jun Lai, Jukka Laitamaki, Hannah R. Messerli, Peter D. Nyheim and Stanley C. Plog, Pearson/Prentice Hall, NJ: 2007.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “US Honeymoon Travel, 2007” Market Research (online report), Mintel International Group, Ltd., Chicago, IL; October 2007.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “Myanmar Country Report,” Travel and Tourism Industry Reports, Mintel International Group, Ltd., London, UK; April 2005.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “Emerging Destinations-International: Mongolia,” Travel and Tourism Industry Reports, Mintel International Group, Ltd., London, UK; August 2004.
- Tourism Policy, Planning & Development
- Tourism Economics
- Emerging Markets Policy Frameworks & Economic Development
- Economic, Environmental & Social Impacts of Tourism
- International Business Development & Enabling Environment
- Nature-Based & Cultural Heritage Tourism
- Aga Khan University, Graduate School of Leisure and Tourism Development Group
- Adventure Travel and Trade Association