MBA/MS in Information Systems Technology (MSIST) is 73.5 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks). Courses that are 1.5 credits are seven weeks in length and are offered either in the first or second half of a semester.
Students should refer to their assigned academic advisors in the MBA and MSIST programs for information on registration, policies, and procedures for the respective programs. In addition, students should refer to the MBA Current Student website for complete information on the MBA program.
- Achievement of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years
MBA Degree Requirements
Students must complete 49.5 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Core Courses (Global and Healthcare MBA: 31.5 cr.; all other programs: 28.5 cr.)
- 6202 Foundational Management Topics in Health Care (3 cr. – Healthcare MBA program only)
- 6211 Financial Accounting (3 cr.)
- 6213 Managerial Accounting (1.5 cr. – 6211*)
- 6224 Decision Making & Data Analysis (3 cr.)
- 6223 Operations Management (1.5 cr. – 6224*)
- 6235 Finance (3 cr. – 6211*, 6224*, 6242*)
- 6242 Micro for the Global Economy (1.5 cr.)
- 6245 Global Perspectives (3 cr.)
- 6263 Organizations & Human Capital (3 cr.)
- 6274 Marketing (3 cr.)
- 6289 Business Ethics & Public Policy (3 cr.)
- Strategic Management Series
- Global MBA Program
- All other programs
- 6294 Consulting Abroad Project (3 cr. – Global MBA Program)
* Indicates a pre-requisite course which must be completed prior to taking this course.
** Up to 6 credits of core may be waived based on previous academic coursework. See the Core Course Waiver Policy for details.
MBA Electives (Global and Healthcare MBA: 18 cr.; all other programs: 21 cr.)
- Students in the Healthcare MBA are required to complete 12 of their 21 credits with healthcare-focused electives offered through the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Students should refer to the Healthcare MBA Degree Requirements webpage for a listing of health-care focused elective options.
- Internships may not be applied towards the MBA degree requirements.
- Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of courses taken at the GW Law School where courses are letter graded and then converted to a CR on the graduate transcript.
- Elective credits can be fulfilled by taking 6000+ level courses within the School of Business. In addition, students may enroll up to 12 credits of 6000+ level courses outside of the School of Business at GWU; up to six (6) of the 12 credits can be fulfilled outside of The George Washington University. This 12-credit maximum includes all approved transfer credit, Consortium coursework, and graduate-level courses completed at GWU outside of the GWSB.
MSIST Degree Requirements
Students must complete 24 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Core Courses (24 cr.)
- ISTM 6201 Information Systems Development (3 cr.)***
- ISTM 6202 Relational Databases (3 cr.)***
- ISTM 6203 Telecommunication and Enterprise Networks (3 cr.)
- ISTM 6204 Information Technology Project Management (3 cr.)
- ISTM 6205 Internet Computing (3 cr.)***
- ISTM 6206 Information Systems Security (3 cr.)
- ISTM 6207 Information Resource Management (3 cr.)
- ISTM 6210 Integrated Information Systems Capstone (3 cr.)****
***The foundation courses must be completed prior to registration.
****Requires all core graduate level courses and all foundation courses to be completed prior to registration.
Technical Foundation Courses and Waivers
Students may be required to complete up to three of the following technical foundation courses either prior to or within the first year of coursework:
- ISTM 3119 Introduction to Structured Programming
- ISTM 4120 Structured Development with CASE
- ISTM 4121 Database Design and Applications
The foundation courses may be satisfied by prior appropriate undergraduate or graduate coursework or by waiver exam. Professional seminars are not considered as appropriate coursework and may not be used to satisfy a prerequisite.
- Current Undergraduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Academic Advising
- Academic Policies
- Class Registration
- Graduate Certificate Admissions
- MBA Programs Degree Requirements
- Global MBA Degree Requirements
- Online Healthcare MBA Degree Requirements
- Online MBA Degree Requirements
- Professional and Professional Cohorted MBA Degree Requirements
- Dual & Joint Degree Requirements
- Specialized Master's Programs Degree Requirements
- Student Engagement
- Tuition Discounts
- Current International Students
- Commencement at GWSB
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052