The MBA/MS in Finance (MSF) degree program at the GW School of Business (GWSB) is 84 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks). Courses that are 1.5 credits are seven weeks in length and are offered either in the first or second half of a semester.
Students should refer to their assigned academic advisors in the MBA and MSF programs for information on registration, policies, and procedures for the respective programs. In addition, students should refer to the MBA Current Students page for complete information on the MBA program.
- Achievement of at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years
MBA Degree Requirements
Students must complete 36 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Core Courses (Global and Healthcare MBA: 31.5 credits; all other programs: 28.5 credits)
- 6202 Foundational Management Topics in Health Care (3 cr. – Healthcare MBA program only)
- 6211 Financial Accounting (3 cr.)
- 6213 Managerial Accounting (1.5 cr. – 6211*)
- 6224 Decision Making & Data Analysis (3 cr.)
- 6223 Operations Management (1.5 cr. – 6224*)
- 6235 Finance (3 cr. – 6211*, 6224*, 6242*)
- 6242 Micro for the Global Economy (1.5 cr.)
- 6245 Global Perspectives (3 cr.)
- 6263 Organizations & Human Capital (3 cr.)
- 6274 Marketing (3 cr.)
- 6289 Business Ethics & Public Policy (3 cr.)
- 6288 Strategic Management (3 cr.)
- 6294 Consulting Abroad Project (3 cr. – Global MBA Program)
* Indicates a pre-requisite course which must be completed prior to taking this course.
** Up to 6 credits of core may be waived based on previous academic coursework. See the Core Course Waiver Policy for details.
MBA Electives (Global and Healthcare MBA: 4.5 credits; all other programs: 7.5 credits)
- Students in the Healthcare MBA are required to complete their 4.5 cr. MBA elective requirement with healthcare-focused electives offered through the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Students should refer to the Healthcare MBA Degree Requirements webpage for a listing of health-care focused elective options.
- Internships may not be applied towards the MBA degree requirements.
- Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of courses taken at the GW Law School where courses are letter graded and then converted to a CR on the graduate transcript.
- Elective credits can be fulfilled by taking 6000+ level courses within the School of Business. In addition, students may enroll up to 12 credits of 6000+ level courses outside of the School of Business at GWU; up to six (6) of the 12 credits can be fulfilled outside of the George Washington University. This 12-credit maximum includes all approved transfer credit, Consortium coursework, and graduate-level courses completed at GWU outside of GWSB.
MSF Degree Requirements
Students pursuing an MSF degree may choose between the intensive program and the regular program. Under the intensive program, students take four classes per semester to complete the degree in 12 months, including a summer session. The regular program, which we highly recommend, paces classes over a period of 24 months, including two summer sessions.
Students with very strong backgrounds in a particular subject area can petition to waive a required course to be replaced by an elective as approved by the program director.
Students must complete 48 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Core Courses (48 credits)
- FINA 6271 Financial Modeling and Econometrics (4 cr.)
- FINA 6272 Global Financial Markets (4 cr.)
- FINA 6273 Cases in Financial Management and Investment Banking (4 cr.)
- FINA 6274 Corporate Financial Management and Modeling (4 cr.)
- FINA 6275 Investment Analysis and Global Portfolio Management (4 cr.)
- FINA 6276 Financial Engineering and Derivatives Securities (4 cr.)
- FINA 6277 Comparative Financial Market Regulation and Development (4 cr.)
- FINA 6278 Financial Theory and Research (4 cr.)
- FINA 6279 Real Estate Finance, Fixed-Income Security Valuation (4 cr.)
- FINA 6280 Financial Institution Management and Modeling (4 cr.)
- FINA 6281 Cases in Financial Modeling and Engineering (4 cr.)
- FINA 6282 Advanced Financial Econometrics and Modeling (4 cr.)
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Academic Advising
- Academic Policies
- Class Registration
- Graduate Certificate Admissions
- MBA Programs Degree Requirements
- Global MBA Degree Requirements
- PMBA & PCMBA Degree Requirements
- Online MBA Degree Requirements
- Online Healthcare MBA Degree Requirements
- Dual & Joint Degree Requirements
- Specialized Master's Programs Degree Requirements
- Student Engagement
- Tuition Discounts
- International Students
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052