How to Graduate
The GW School of Business awards certificates and graduate degrees in January, May, and August. Students whose grades are not posted or grades are missing from a previous semester will be ineligible for the awarding of the degree or certificate until all grades are posted by the appropriate instructor. Students missing grades must contact the instructor of the course directly to have the grades posted. Students who require confirmation of their certificate and/or degree requirements prior to the final posting should contact their academic advisor for the options available.
Degree Granting Programs
Students are required to file an electronic Application for Graduation via GWeb by the published deadline to be considered for degree clearance and to graduate.
Students applying for graduation must apply by:
- Fall graduation: October 1
- Spring graduation: February 1
Students graduating in the summer with nine (9) or fewer credit hours remaining may opt to participate in the Commencement Ceremony prior to finishing their remaining requirements. Students who choose to do this must apply to graduate no later than February 1.
- Summer graduation: July 1
Students are required to file a paper Application for Certificate Completion by the published deadline to be considered for certificate clearance and to be awarded the certificate.
Students applying for certificate completion must apply by:
- Fall completion: December 1
- Spring completion: April 1
- Summer completion: July 1
To be eligible for the awarding of the certificate or graduate degree a student must:
- Meet the admission requirements of their graduate program in which they are registered
- Complete satisfactorily the scholarship, curriculum, residence, and other requirements for the degree as stated in the University Bulletin
- Be free from all indebtedness to the University
- Be enrolled in the semester of which the certificate and/or degree is to be conferred
- Complete all certificate and/or degree requirements by the last day of final examinations for that semester
Students who fail to meet the application deadline for degree granting programs must submit a paper Application for Graduation (pdf) to their academic advisor. Students who fail to meet the application deadline for certificates should file the paper Application for Certificate Completion. All applications submitted after the posted deadline are subject to a late application fee levied by the University. Students who wish to appeal the late application fee must do so through Graduation Services.
Changes to Completion and/or Graduation Application
Students who have submitted a graduation or certificate completion application and would like to change their date of graduation and/or completion (ie from spring to summer) should notify their academic advisor. Once the change has been made through Graduate Programs, the student will be notified and asked to log into GWeb to apply for the new semester in which they intend to graduate.
Not Cleared for Completion and/or Graduation
Students who do not meet all degree requirements by the end of the academic semester in which they apply to complete their certificate and/or graduate must submit a new electronic Application for Graduation via GWeb for the semester in which they will finish all degree requirements and would like their degree awarded. Applications do not carry over from one semester to the next.
- Current Undergraduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Current International Students
- Commencement at GWSB
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052