Personal Leave of Absence
Students who find it necessary to interrupt their studies may request a personal leave of absence by completing the Leave of Absence Request Form . If a personal leave of absence is requested after the start of the semester, students will be subject to the refund schedule set by the Office of the Registrar.
Students should be aware of the following when requesting a personal leave of absence:
- One semester of leave – with the exception of military deployment – will be granted at any one time and is not automatically renewed for the subsequent semester. Students who need to extend their leave of absence must make a second request via the Leave of Absence Request Form .
- No more than two semesters of leave are allowed during a student’s tenure in their graduate program.
- Students who do not return after taking personal leave must apply for reinstatement. If reinstatement is denied, students must reapply to the program and, if approved, will be subject to the requirements and regulations at the time of readmission.
- The five-year time to degree will be extended by one semester for each semester of approved leave of absence.
- A personal leave of absence will not confer registration nor residency status needed to qualify for financial aid or visa requirements.
- The right to use of University facilities is suspended while the leave is in effect.
Medical Leave of Absence
Students who need to interrupt their studies due to a medical or mental health issue may request a medical leave of absence by completing the Leave of Absence Request Form. Medical leave does not count towards the two semester limit of personal leave outlined above.
Military Leave of Absence
Students who are serving in the military, military reserves, or the National Guard who receive orders to deploy may request a military leave of absence by completing the Leave of Absence Request Form. Military leave allows active duty military who have received orders to deploy to interrupt their studies for the length of time that they are deployed. Military leave does not count towards the two semester limit of personal leave outlined above.
Students who receive orders to deploy prior to or early in a semester are automatically entitled to a full refund of all tuition and fees that he or she has paid toward the expenses of that academic term. If called to active duty after the mid-term examinations or after other substantial graded work has been completed, the student will have the option of either taking a full refund of tuition of fees or taking an Incomplete in his or her courses. Students who opt to take an Incomplete must follow the policies and procedures in place for students requesting a grade of Incomplete.
Returning from a Leave of Absence
Students returning on schedule from an approved personal or military leave of absence will be eligible for early registration for the semester in which they are scheduled to return. If a student needs to request a second leave of absence, or have received orders that their deployment is being extended, the student must submit a new Leave of Absence Request Form. Students returning from leave must be registered no later than the add/drop deadline set by the Office of the Registrar for the semester in which they are scheduled to return.
- Current Undergraduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Academic Advising
- Academic Policies
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Progress
- Continuous Enrollment, Reinstatement, & Readmission
- Core Course Waiver
- Course Repetition for Credit
- Global MBA Team Grievance
- Grade of F
- Grades, Grading Guidelines, and Grade Grievances
- GW Coursework Completed Prior to Matriculation
- Incomplete Grades
- Leaves of Absence
- Policy Exceptions
- Termination of Degree Candidacy
- Time to Degree
- Transfer of Credit
- Voluntary Withdrawal
- Class Registration
- Graduate Certificate Admissions
- MBA Programs Degree Requirements
- Specialized Master's Programs Degree Requirements
- Student Engagement
- Current International Students
- Commencement at GWSB
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052