Once entered in a degree program, a student is expected to be continuously enrolled and actively engaged in fulfilling the requirements for the degree each semester of the academic year until such time as the degree is conferred. A student is considered to be continuously enrolled when registered for courses through GW or when registered for an approved leave of absence.
Students who fail to register, fail to return from a leave of absence or fail to return from a suspension as scheduled; voluntarily withdraw; or are otherwise absent without authorization from the University for one or more semesters must make a formal Application for Reinstatement . Students will only be approved for reinstatement if they are able to meet the University’s policy of continuous enrollment by retroactively registering for up to two leaves of absence.
If reinstatement is denied, the student must apply for readmission. If readmitted, the student is subject to the rules and regulations in force at the time of return.
Students who are readmitted can only apply coursework completed at GWU within five years from the semester of re-matriculation into their program towards their degree requirements. Core courses completed prior to the five year date must be retaken. Elective courses completed prior to the five year date will not be applied towards the graduate degree requirements. This policy is not eligible for appeal.
- Current Undergraduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Academic Advising
- Academic Policies
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Progress
- Continuous Enrollment, Reinstatement, & Readmission
- Core Course Waiver
- Course Repetition for Credit
- Global MBA Team Grievance
- Grade of F
- Grades, Grading Guidelines, and Grade Grievances
- GW Coursework Completed Prior to Matriculation
- Incomplete Grades
- Leaves of Absence
- Policy Exceptions
- Termination of Degree Candidacy
- Time to Degree
- Transfer of Credit
- Voluntary Withdrawal
- Class Registration
- Graduate Certificate Admissions
- MBA Programs Degree Requirements
- Specialized Master's Programs Degree Requirements
- Student Engagement
- Current International Students
- Commencement at GWSB
2201 G Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20052