The Graduate Certificate in Business Information Systems provides an overview of the study of an organized system that people and organizations use to collect, process, and distribute data. Information systems are not only the technology an organization uses, but also the way people support business processes through interaction with technology. They are hardware and software systems that support data-intensive applications and all aspects of an organization’s operations, management, and decision making. Students will gain an understanding of the components that make up information systems and the roles they play in business.
- Completion of all required and elective credits from the course options listed below
- Completion of the certificate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above
In addition, students should be aware of the following course application limitations:
- Courses taken by non-degree students are not eligible to be applied towards certificates.
- Students may only apply a course to two program requirements (for example, MBAD 6224 may be applied to both the MBA and the graduate certificate, but that course may not subsequently be applied to any other degree or certificate requirements).
- Students who choose to enroll in two graduate certificates may only "double count" up to six credits between the two certificates; all remaining requirements (typically, 18 credits for two certificates) must be unique to each certificate.
Required • 9 credits
- ISTM 6200 | Python Program Database Applications *
- ISTM 6201 | Information Systems Development and Applications
- ISTM 6202 | Relational Databases
* May be waived based on previous coursework or work experience. Students who are approved for waiver must replace the credits with 3 credit hours of electives as outlined below.
Electives • 3 Credits
- ISTM 6xxx: Any ISTM course at the 6000 level
- Undergraduate Programs
- Specialized Master's
- Executive Education
- Doctoral Programs
- Certificate Programs
- Business Analytics
- Business Information Systems
- Digital Marketing Communications
- Financial Management
- Hospitality Management
- Human Capital
- Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship
- International Business
- Investments & Portfolio Management
- Management Leadership
- Management of Technology & Innovation
- Marketing & Brand Management
- Project Management
- Responsible Management
- Sport Management
- Walkable Urban Real Estate Development
- Online Programs
- Global & Experiential Education
- Academic Life
- Academic Calendar
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052