MSIST | Admission
Qualifications for Admission
Admissions to the Master of Science in Information Systems Technology program is competitive. Applicants must present a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and meet the minimum entrance requirements of the School of Business.
The review process considers each of the following areas on its own merit and candidates should show significant achievement in each area to be considered a strong prospect for admission.
- The ability to excel academically in an environment that will demand strong technical, analytical, and communication skills.
- Evidence of maturity to integrate educational opportunities into personal and professional goals.
- Management and leadership potential and strong communication skills.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and are considered for fall and spring semester admissions. We strongly encourage you to submit your completed application as early as possible for the strongest consideration.
Online Application Requirements
To be considered complete, the following documents must be included in the online application:
- Completed Online Application: The fee will be waived for applicants who already possess an undergraduate or graduate degree from GW. The online application accepts electronic payment. However, you may still submit a check to the admissions office.
- Current Résumé: Uploaded through the online application system.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: From professional and/or academic references.
- Statement of Career Objective: In no more than 500 words, describe how the MSIST program fits into your professional life and your career objectives.
Additional Application Requirements
- Transcripts: From all colleges/universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as a transfer credit on another transcript. Please mail official transcripts to the mailing address at the end of this page.Unofficial copies may be uploaded to your online application, however official transcripts are required to complete your application.
- GMAT Score or GRE Score*: Test date must be within past five years.
GMAT code: QK4-4F-40; GRE code: 5246
Not eligible for a test waiver? George Washington applicants can benefit from 10% off any Kaplan GMAT or GRE preparation course. Use discount code GWUSB10.
- International Applicants: Applicants who have not completed their entire degree in a country in which English is the principal language must submit one of the following—an official TOEFL score of at least 100 (internet-based test) or 600 (paper-based test), an official IELTS score of 7.0 with no individual band score below 6.0, or a PTE Academic Score of at least 68. Test date must be within the past two years. TOEFL code: 5246 Department code: 02
- Financial Certification Form along with supporting documentation indicating that you have adequate funding for tuition and living expenses for the duration of the MSIST program. The form is required from students requesting a visa and only after receiving an admission offer.
- Copies of all current or recently issued visa or I-20 documentation. (To expedite processing, you should submit an application that is otherwise complete and forward the copies of visa or I-20 documentation when they become available).
A maximum of 6 credit hours of graduate course work may be approved for transfer to the School of Business from enrollment at GW in non-degree status or from another degree-granting school of this University, or another regionally accredited college or university under the following conditions: The course work must be approved as part of the student’s program of studies; it must not have been applied to the completion of requirements for another degree, it must be at the graduate level, it must have been taken within the two years prior to acceptance into the program, and the student must have received a grade of B or better. (That includes any IST course taken for a grade at GW as a non-degree student.) It is strongly recommended that students be formally admitted into the School of Business before beginning course work.
Applicants should send all supporting documentation not submitted online to the following address:
The George Washington University
Duques Hall, Suite 550
2201 G Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20052
Questions? Contact email@example.com or (202) 994-1212
Admitted Student Profile
While we do not have minimum requirements for test scores, GPA or work experience, our program does attract top academic and professional talent. Statistics from the most recent admission period are as follows:
- Average GMAT Score: 590
- Average GPA: 3.2
- Percentage Military or Veteran: 5.7%
- Percentage Female: 43%
- Percentage International: 72%
- Average Age: 27
|Round||Application Deadline||Decisions Announced|
|Round||Application Deadline||Decisions Announced|
* International applications must be received before the Round 2 deadline to be considered for the Spring term, and before the Round 5 deadline to be considered for the Fall.