Assistant Teaching Professor of Management & Tourism Studies
- Department: Management
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (202) 994-4200
- Office: Funger Hall, Suite 301S • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC • 20052
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1978
- JD, University of Maryland School of Law, 1995
- Concussions and Our Kids: America’s Leading Expert on How to Protect Young Athletes and Keep Sports Safe, a collaboration with Robert Cantu, MD (Houghton Mifflin, 2012)
- The Most Expensive Game in Town: The Rising Cost of Youth Sports and the Toll on Today’s Families (Beacon Press 2012)
- Until It Hurts: America’s Obsession with Youth Sports and How It Harms Our Kids (Beacon Press 2009)
- Confessions of a Baseball Purist: What’s Right – and Wrong – With Baseball, As Seen from the Best Seat in the House; a collaboration with Jon Miller (Simon & Schuster 1997)
- Challenges for Girls Playing High School Baseball, New York Times
- Studies Show That the Curveball is Not Too Stressful for Young Arms, New York Times
- Sports Training has Begun for Babies and Toddlers, New York Times
- A Children’s Crusade, Sports Illustrated
- A Survey of Youth Sports Shows That Winning Isn’t The Only Thing, New York Times
- Why Kids Under 14 Should Not Play Tackle Football, Time.com
- Sickly Sweet Deals at the Little League World Series, Baltimore Sun
In 2010, he was named a Sports Ethics Fellow by the Institute for International Sport at the University of Rhode Island and the Positive Coaching Alliance at Stanford University.
In 1992 received a third-place award from APSE for Best News Story article on the bankruptcy filing of the Baltimore Orioles owner.
In 1983 won second place in the *Best Investigative Story category in the Associated Press Sports Editors newspaper *contest for a series of articles that disclosed NCAA rules violations committed by the Southern Methodist University football team, disclosures that resulted in the “death penalty,” a suspension of the football program at the Dallas school.
Hyman is a frequent public speaker. He has appeared on panels or led seminars for the Associated Press Sports Editors, the American Press Institute, the Sports Lawyers Association and the National Alliance for Youth Sports.