Liang (Larry) Yu
Professor of Hospitality Management
- Department: Management
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (202) 994-8740
- Office: Funger Hall, Suite 301-U • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC 20052
- BA, Hangzhou University, China, 1979
- EdM, Boston University, 1984
- PhD, University of Oregon, 1988
- Hotel Market Analysis
- Tourism Product Value Chain Analysis
- Tourist Satisfaction
- Hospitality Crisis Management
- Co-investigator (Summer 2010). Cultural Preservation as Economic Development: The Emergence of a Tourism Industry at Mount Wutai, China ($4,858). Sigur Center for Asian Studies, The Elliott School of International Affairs, The George Washington University.
- Co-investigator (2001-2002). Tourism Rapid Assessment Concept Development with Field Visit to South Africa and Zambia. Research project sponsored by USAID/RAISE, $25,800.
- Principal investigator (1998). Measuring the Conversion Rate of Guest Telephone Reservations in Choice International Hotels in the U.S., Choice Hotels International, $2,000.
- Co-investigator (1995-1996). Peer Community Comparative Study on Tourism Development in Sedona, Arizona. A part of Tourism Impact Study sponsored by Arizona Research and Resource Center, $4,000.
- Principle investigator (1993). A Study on International Adaptive Effectiveness of Expatriate Hospitality Managers in China. A study funded by the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management, Northern Arizona University, $1,150.
- Shepherd, Robert J. & Yu, L. (2013). Heritage Management, Tourism, and Governance in China: Managing the Past to Serve the Present. NY: Springer.
- Yu, L. (2004). The International Hospitality Business: Management and Operations. Binghamton, Mumbai, India: Jaico Publication House.
- Lew, A., Yu, L., Ap, John and Zhang, Guangrui, eds. (2003). Tourism in China. Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Press.
- Van Hoof, B; McDonald, M; Yu, L. and Vallen, G., eds. (1996). A Host of Opportunities: Introduction to Hospitality Management. Burr Ridge, IL: Richard D. Irwin.
- Lew, A. and Yu, L., eds. (1995). Tourism in China: Geographic, Political and Economic Perspectives. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
Refereed Journal Articles & Book Chapters
- Gu, Huimin, Duverger, P. and Yu, L. (Forthcoming). Can innovative behavior be led by management. A study from the lodging business. Tourism Management.
- Wang, C. L., Tuan, Z. W., & Yu, L. (2016). From Nonprofit Organization to Social Enterprise: The Paths and Future of A Chinese Social Enterprise in the Tourism Field. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28(6).
- Ma, Mingcao, Weng, Jin and Yu, L. (2015). Market size, scale economies and tourism market structure: A case of historic water town tourism in China. Tourism Management, 49, 119-137
- Qin, Yu, Li, Bin and Yu, L. (2015). Managing innovations in a Chinese hotel company: The case of 7 Days Inn. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(8): 1856-1880.
- Garcia, Desiderio, J. and Yu, L. (2015). Knowledge Transfer in Hotel Firms: Determinants of Success in International Expansion. International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, 16(1): 16-39.
- Qin, Yu, Li, Bin and Yu, L. (2015). Corporate Culture and Company Performance: A Case study of Home Inns in China. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research. 20(9): 1021-1040.
- Wang, Chunlei and Yu, L. (2015). Managing Student Volunteers for Mega Events: Motivation and Psychological Contract as Predictors of Sustained Volunteerism. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research. 20(3): 338-357.
- Zhang, Chao, Singh, A. J. and Yu, L. (2016). Does it matter? Examining the impact of China’s vacation policies on domestic tourism demand. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 40(5), 527-556.
- Prasad, Kesh, Wirtz, Philip and Yu, L. (2014). Managing hotel guest satisfaction using online quality management system. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 23(4): 445-463.
- Wang, Chunlei, Yang, Jie., Zhu, Hongbing and Yu, L. (2014). Research on foreign tourists’ satisfaction with the 2010 Shanghai World Expo: Based on the blogs at a travel website. Journal of Convention and Event Management, 15(2): 114-134.
- Yu, L. and Gu, Huimin (2013). “Revenue Management in China’s Lodging Sector: Practices and Challenges.” In Patrick Legohérel, Elisabeth Poutier and Alan Fyall, eds., Revenue Management for Hospitality and Tourism, Chapter 7, pp. 104-117. Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers.
- Yu, L. and Gu, Huimin (2013). “The Lodging Sector and the Global Economy: China’s Hotel Industry in International Context.” In Clement Tisdell, ed., Handbook on Tourism Economics: Analysis, New Applications and Case Studies, Chapter 8, pp. 171-190. Singapore: World
- Gu, Huimin,Ryan, Chris and Yu, L. (2012). The Changing Structure of the Chinese Hotel Industry: 1980 – 2012. Tourism Management Perspective, 4: 56-63.
- Yu, L., Wang, Chuilei and Seo, Joo Hwan (2012). Mega Event and Destination Brand: 2010 Shanghai Expo. International Journal of Event and Festival Management, 3(1): 46-65.
- Shepherd, Robert, Yu, L. and Gu, Huimin (2012). Tourism, Heritage and Sacred Space: The Case of Wutai Shan, China. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 7(1): 1-17.
- Hawkins, Donald, Elliott, Sheryl. and Yu, L. (2012). “Tourism Knowledge Sharing: A Virtual Consensus Building Approach.” In Jafar Jafari, ed., Knowledge Management in Tourism: Policy and Governance Applications, Volume 4, pp. 33-53. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Boo, Soyoung, Wang, Qiqing and Yu, L. (2011). “Residents’ Support of Mega-Events: A Reevaluation.” Event Management, 15(3): 215-232.
- Seo, Joo Hwan, Park, Sung Y. and Yu, L. (2009). “The Analysis of the Relationships of Korean Tourism Demand: Jeju Island and Three International Destinations.” Tourism Management, 30(4): 530-543.
- Yu, L. (2008). “The Structure and Nature of the International Hospitality Industry.” In Bob Brotherton and Roy C. Wood, eds., The Sage Handbook of Hospitality Management, pp. 62-89. London: Sage Publications.
- Yu, L. and Gu Huimin (2007). “An Analysis of Hotel Financial Management in China.”Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 15(2): 38-48.
- Yu, L. andMunhtuya Golden (2006). “A Comparative Analysis of International Tourists’ Satisfaction in Mongolia,” Tourism Management, 27(6): 1331-1342.
- Yu, L, Stafford, Greg and Armoo, Alex Kobina (2006). “A Study of Crisis Management Strategies of Hotel Managers in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area.” Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 29 (2/3):93-107.
- Yu, L. and Gu Huimin (2005). “Hotel Reform in China: A SWOT Analysis.” Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly. 46(2): 153-169.
- Stafford, Gerg, Yu, L. and Armoo, Alex Kobina (2005). “Crisis Management and Recovery: How Washington, DC Hotels Responded to Terrorism.” In Yoel Mansfeld and Abraham Pizam, eds., Tourism, Security and Safety: From Theory to Practice, 291-311. London: Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann.
- Jang, Soo Cheong, Yu, L., and Pearson, Thomas (2003). “Chinese Travelers to the United States: A Comparison of Business Travel and Visiting Friends and Relatives,” Tourism Geographies, 5(1): 38-49.
- Yu, L., Ap, John, Zhang, Guangrui andLew, Alan (2003). “World Trade and China’s Tourism: Opportunities, Challenges and Strategies.” In Alan Lew, Larry Yu, John Ap, and Guangrui Zhang, Eds., Tourism in China, pp. 297-308. Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Hospitality Press.
- Greg Stafford, Yu, L. and Armoo, Alex Kobina (2002). “Crisis Management and Recovery: How Washington, DC Hotels Responded to Terrorism.” Cornel Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, October: 27-40.
- Jang, Soo Cheong and Yu, L. (2002). “A Comparative Study of Financial Returns between Commercial Hotels and Casino Hotels.” Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 26(1): 38-53.
- Yu, L. and Moo Hyung Chung (2001). “Tourism as a Catalytic Force for Low-Politics Activities between Politically Divided Countries – A Case of South/North Koreas and Taiwan/China. New Political Science, 23(4): 537-545.
- Hirata, Masaki and Yu, L. (1999). “Factors Influencing Taiwan’s Outbound Travel from 1987 to 1996.” Pacific Tourism Review, 2(2):147-156.
- Yu, L. (1998). “China’s Hotel Industry: Assessment and Prospects.” Journal of Vacation Marketing, 4(4): 368-380.
- Yu, L. (1997/98). “Travel between Politically Divided China and Taiwan.” Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 2(1): 19-30.
- Yu, L. and Lew, A. (1997). “Airline Liberalization and Development in China.” Pacific Tourism Review, 1(2):129-136.
- Yu, L. and Goh, Siong Huat (1995). “Perceptions of Management Difficulty Factors by Expatriate Hotel Professionals in China.” International Journal of Hospitality Management, Lead Article, December: 1-14.
- Yu, L. (1995). “Travel Service Operations: The Chinese Experience.” The Journal of Hospitality Management, 1(4): 29-42.
- Yu, L. (1994). “Tourism in the Egyptian Red Sea Area: A Responsible Development Approach.” FIU Hospitality Review, 12(2): 37-44.
- Bergstrom, J., Yu, L. and Medweth, E. (1994). “Destination Maintenance: Why Sedona Needs Schnebly Hill.” The Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly. 35(4): 32-37.
- Yu, L. (1992). “Teaching International Hospitality Management: A Tripartite Approach.” Hospitality and Tourism Educators, Lead Article, 5(1): 7-10.
- Yu, L. (1992). “Emerging Markets for China’s Tourism Industry.” Journal of Travel Research, 21(1): 10-13.
- Yu, L. (1992). “Hotel Development and Structures in China.” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 11(2): 99-110.
- Yu, L. (1992). “Seeing Stars: China’s Hotel Rating System.” The Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 33(5): 24-27.
- Oriental Scholar award from Shanghai Municipal Education Commission for outstanding contribution to tourism and hospitality research and education in China, January 2010
- Fulbright Scholar to National University of Management, Cambodia, Spring 2007
- Visiting Professorship from Shanghai Institute of Tourism, Shanghai Normal University, 2004
- Lead researcher for White House Conference on Travel and Tourism, 1995
- Outstanding Scholar Award, School of Hotel and Restaurant Management (SHRM),
- Northern Arizona University (NAU), 1996
- Outstanding Scholar Award, SHRM, NAU, 1995
- Outstanding Scholar Award, SHRM, NAU, 1994
- Outstanding Scholar Award, SHRM, NAU, 1993
- Leadership Development Programs Recognition Award, NAU, 1992
- Outstanding Tour Guide Award (China’s national tour guide award), 1982
- “Knowledge Transfer in the Internationalization of Higher Education in Tourism in China: A Proposed Conceptual Model.” International Summit on Globalization of Chinese Higher Tourism Education, June 20-21, 2009, Shanghai, China.
- “Tourism Development in Heilongjiang: A sustainable Perspective.” Invited presentation at the International Forum of Tourism and Cultural Industry, August 14-16, 2009, Heihe City, Heilongjiang Province, China.
- “An Analysis of International Hotel Competitive Advantage and Brand Management.” Invited presentation at the Second Bi-Annual Conference of International Tourism Studies Association, November 7-9, 2008, Shanghai, China.
- “Tourism Value Chain Analysis of Tourism Industry in Sichuan Province: An Competitive Study of Inbound Tourism.” Joint Workshop by International Finance Corporation and Sichuan Provincial Tourism Administration, July 10, 2007, Chengdu, China.
- “Current Research in International Hospitality Management.” Keynote speech delivered at the 13th Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Network of Asia-Pacific Education and Training Institutes in Tourism (APETIT) and the Seminar on Tourism and MICE Education and Training in Asia and Pacific, May 23-25, 2006, Shanghai, China.
- “Develop Tourism Investment Policy for Viable Ecotourism & Biodiversity Project in China.” Invited speaker for Khampa International Ecotourism Conference, November 12-15, 2004, Hailuogou National Park, Sichuan Province, China.
- “Developing MICE Education Program: Aligning Learning Objectives with Industry Needs and Expectations.” Invited presentation at the 2004 Shanghai International MICE Education and Training Forum, August 6-7, 2004, Shanghai, China.
- “Crisis Management in the Tourism Industry: A Global Perspective.” Keynote speech delivered at the International Forum on “Post SARS China Tourism.” August 21-24, 2003, Beijing, China.
- “Tourism Recovery from the 9-11-01 Catastrophe & Outlook.” Invited paper presented at the 33rd Annual Conference of Travel and Tourism Research Association, June 23-26, 2002, Washington, D.C. This paper was co-authored with Dr. Douglas Frechtling.
- “Tourism in the New Millennium.” Invited presentation to the School of Hotel Management, Faculty of Business Administration, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, November 15, 1999, Hong Kong, SAR.
- “Infrastructure Development: Preparing for the Twenty-first Century.” White House Conference on Travel and Tourism Issue Paper presented at the CHRIE annual conference, August 3, 1995, Nashville, Tennessee.