Jorge E. Rivera
Professor of Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Department: Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (202) 994-0163
- Office: Funger Hall, Ste. 608 • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC 20052
- PhD, Duke University, 2000
Jorge E. Rivera is a Professor of Strategic Management and Public Policy and Tucker-Endowed Fellow at The George Washington University (GWU) School of Business. Prof. Rivera’s research examines how country context, regulatory, industry, and firm-level factors are associated with corporate environmental strategies. More recently, he has been examining: a) how regulations and industrial accidents affect foreign investment by multinational corporations; and b) how different dimensions of nature’s adversity affect business adaptation and mitigation strategies. He has published two books and several dozen journal articles. His book, Business and Public Policy (by Cambridge University Press), received the 2011 Outstanding Book Award by one of the divisions of the Academy of Management. Professor Rivera is also founding Co-Editor of the Cambridge University Press’s Book series on Organizations and the Natural Environment.
Broadly, my research examines how environmental policies and institutional context shape the environmental protection strategies of businesses in the US and other countries. To test this theory work, I have been assessing how different types of environmental regulations and country characteristics affect business environmental performance. Another stream of my research has focused on evaluating how participation in voluntary environmental programs is associated with business competitiveness and environmental protection. Related to this research, I have also study how industry association membership, regulatory and firm-level factors are associated with beyond compliance environmental performance. Currently, I am beginning research studying corporate climate change adaptation and the drivers of environmental technology innovation.
Over the past ten years, I have published two books and several dozen journal articles, journal special issues, book chapters, and cases. In 2011, my book entitled Business and Public Policy (by Cambridge University Press), received the Outstanding Book Award by one of the divisions of the Academy of Management. Two of my articles in the Policy Studies Journal (2004 and 2006) are respectively the first and third most cited manuscripts published by this journal between 2004-2013. One of my papers is also the third most cited article published by the Policy Sciences journal during the last decade (2002-12). Additionally, my work has received Best Paper Awards from the Academy of Management in 2001 and the Policy Sciences Society in 2003. My research findings have been mentioned in more than 30 news stories by national and international newspapers including the New York Times. My research publications have also been recognized at GWU, where between 2008-2010, I was one of only 3 professors in the School of Business to be conferred the Dean’s Research Scholar Award. Most recently, I received a university wide research prize when I was selected as a 2012-13 GWU Public Policy Scholar. In 2012, I became the founding Co-Editor in Chief of the Cambridge University Press’s Book series on Organizations and the Natural Environment. Since 2009, I have been serving as an Associate Editor of the Policy Sciences journal.
- Clement, V., and Rivera, J. (Forthcoming). From adaptation to transformation: An extended research agenda for organizational resilience to adversity in the natural environment. Organization & Environment.
- Rivera, J., Naranjo, M., Robalino, J., Alpizar, F., and Blackman, A. (Forthcoming). Local community characteristics and cooperation for shared green reputation. Policy Studies Journal.
- Tashman, P., and Rivera, J. (2016). Ecological uncertainty, adaptation, and mitigation in the U.S. ski resort industry: Managing resource dependence and institutional pressures. Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 37: 1507–1525.
- Blackman, A., Naranjo, M., Robalino, J., Alpizar, F., and Rivera, J. (2014). Does Tourism Eco-Certification Pay? Costa Rica’s Blue Flag Program. World Development. Vol. 58: 41–52.
- Rivera, J., and Oh, C. (2013). Environmental Regulations and MNC Foreign Market Entry. Policy Studies Journal. Vol. 41(2):243-72.
- Shah, K., and Rivera, J. (2013). Industry associations and corporate environmentalism in emerging economies: Evidence from the oil, gas, and chemical sectors of Trinidad and Tobago. Policy Sciences Vol. 46: 39-62.
- Blackman, A. and Rivera, J. (2011). Producer-level Benefits of Sustainability Certification. Conservation Biology, Vol. 25(6):1176–1185
- Rivera, J. (2010). Business and Public Policy: Responses to Environmental and Social Protection Processes. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Revised paperback edition, published in July 2012.
- Outstanding Book Award, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2011.
- deLeon, P., and Rivera, J. (Eds.) (2009). Voluntary Environmental Programs: A Policy Perspective. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield for the Policy Studies Organization.
- Tucker Endowed Fellow, GWU School of Business. 2015, 2016.
- Doctoral Student Association’s Faculty Member of the Year Award (Peter Vail Award for significant contribution to students), GWU School of Business. 2010 Winner. Nominee in 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2008.
- Top three finalists for the McGraw Endowed Chair Professorship at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business and the School of Natural Resources, 2014.
- Distinguished Service Award 2012, Organizations and the Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management.
- Invited to become Editor-in-Chief of the journal Policy Sciences, 2012 (declined).
- Policy Research Scholar 2012-13, GWU Institute of Public Policy.
- Outstanding Book Award 2011, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division (Received for my book: Business and Public Policy, Cambridge U. Press, 2010).
- Policy Sciences, Associate Editor (2009-14) (Editorial Board Member 2006-2008)
- Policy Studies Journal, Editorial Board Member (2009-)
- Business & Society, Associate Editor (2008-12) (Editorial Board Member 2012-)
- Organization & Environment, Editorial Board Member (2006-)
Academic Book Presses
- Cambridge University Press, Founding Book Series Co-Editor (with Prof. J. Alberto Aragon) (2012-). Organizations and Natural Environment Book Series.
Other Professional Service
- Division Chair, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2011-12.
- Advisory Board Member, Latin American Environmental Economics Program (2009-)
- Program Chair, Academy of Management’s Organizations and the Natural Environment Division, 2009-10.