Associate Research Professor of Strategic Management & Public Policy
Associate Faculty, Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration
- Department: Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (202) 994-5248
- Office: Funger Hall, 615P • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC 20052
- PhD, Public Administration, the George Washington University, 1991
- MPA, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, 1980
- BA, Public Administration; Public Science (dual degree), Miami University, 1978
John J. Forrer is Director of the Institute for Corporate Responsibility (ICR), as well as Research Professor at the School of Business and Associate Faculty at the School of Public Policy and Public Administration at George Washington University. He manages the activities of ICR and currently leads projects on corporate governance, conflict-free chocolate, the better world learning community, re-imagining sustainable supply chain governance, and sugar, obesity and corporate responsibility.
He has written extensively on multisector collaborations for governance—public private partnerships, governance networks, and global governance enterprises—and the role business plays in making such collaborations effective. He has two books being published Summer 2016: The Role of Business in Responsibility to Protect. eds. with Conor Seyle, Cambridge University Press; Global Governance Enterprises. Tailor & Francis. His most recent journal articles include: “Business and Peace in the Buffer Condition” (2015). Academy Management Perspectives Vol. 29 no. 4 438-450; “The PACO Index.” (2016) with Timothy Fort. Business Horizons (Forthcoming).
- “PPPs: E-SCADs or Partners in Service,” with James Kee, Public Integrity, Spring 2012, Volume 14, Number 2 / Spring 2012
- “Public-Private Partnerships and the Public Accountability Question,” with James Kee, Kathryn Newcomer and Eric Boyer, Public Administration Review, 2010, Vol 70-3, pp. 475-484.
- “Locating Peace Through Commerce in Good Global Governance,” Journal of Business Ethics, January 2010, Vol. 89, pp. 449-460
- “How Do US Economic Sanctions Affect EU’s Trade with Target Countries,” with Jiawen Yang, Hossein Askari, and Lili Zhu, World Economy, 20009, Volume 32, No. 8, pp. 1223-1244.
- “Private Finance Initiative: The Theory and the Practice,” with James Kee, The International Journal of Public Administration, January 2008, Vol. 31, No. 2.
- “Not Your Father’s Public Administration,” with James Kee and Seth Gabriel, Journal of Public Affairs Education, Spring/Summer 2007, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 265-280.
- “Privatization and Organizational Change: Lessons form Cross-National Research,” with James Kee, Kathryn Newcomer, Michelle Amante, Laila El Baradei, The International Journal of Business and Public Administration, Spring 2005 Vol 1.
- “Measuring Vulnerability to U.S. Foreign Economic Sanctions: Focused Sanctions Reduce Costs to Business,” with H. Askari, J. Yang and T. Hakem, Business Economics, April, 2005.
- “Public Servants as Contract Managers,” with Jed Kee, Public Contract Law Journal, Winter 2004 Vol. 33:2
- “US Economic Sanctions Against China: Who Gets Hurt?” with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang, The World Economy, July 2004, Vol. 27:7
- “U.S. Economic Sanctions: An Empirical Study,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang, The International Trade Journal, Spring 2004, Vol. XII, No. IV
- “Private Finance Initiative: A Better Public-Private Initiative,” with J. Kee and Z. Zhang, The Public Manager, 31, No. 2 (2002): 43-7.
- “Economic Sanctions and U.S. International Business Interests,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen, and J. Yang, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, No. 220, March 2002.
- “U.S. Economic Sanctions: The Case of Iran,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen, and J. Yang, Business Economics, 36 (2001), pp. 7-19.
- “Technology Policy and Manufacturing in the Northeast,” The Survey of Regional Literature, No.6 (1988), pp. 16-24.
Books and Monographs
- Case Studies on U.S. Economic Sanctions: The Cuban, Chinese and Iranian Experience, with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang. Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2003.
- Protesting Globalization: What are the Alternatives? with M. Wilkins. GW Center for the Study of Globalization, Washington, D.C.: 2003.
- Economic Sanctions: Examining Their Philosophy and Efficacy, with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang. Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2002.
- Why are People Protesting Globalization? with L. Robinson and M. Wilkins, Washington.: GW Center for the Study of Globalization, 2nd edition, 2002.
- Japan-U.S.: 1990 Manufacturing Research Exchange, editor. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1992.
- Kee, James E., John Forrer, “Intergovernmental Revenues,” Local Government Finance: Concepts and Practices, John Petersen (ed.), Washington, D.C.: Government Finance Officers Association (1992).
Working or Occasional Papers
- “Lessons Learned from Conflict Minerals Supply Chain Strategy” with Karen Mo and Jennifer Yeaw, ICR Working Paper, November 2102
- “Understanding Global Governance Networks Organization and Leadership,” with Ridhima Kapur and Leilani Greene, ICR Working Paper, June 2012
- “Business Activities and Peace in Cyprus,” with John Katsos, ICR Working Paper, May 2012
- “Privatization and Organizational Change: Lessons from Cross-National Research,” GW CSG Occasional Paper-04-28, with James Kee, Kathryn Newcomer, Michelle Amante, Laila El Baradei, 2004.
- “Using Unilateral Economic Sanctions Effectively,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang, GW CSG Occasional Paper CSGOP-03-11, GW Center for the Study of Globalization, 2003.
- “Economic and Strategic Impacts of U.S. Economic Sanctions on Cuba,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen and J. Yang, GW CSG Occasional Paper CSGOP-03-13, GW Center for the Study of Globalization 2003.
- “U.S. Economic Sanctions: An Empirical Analysis,” with H. Askari, H. Teegen, and J. Yang, GW CSG Occasional Paper CSGOP-03-10, GW Center for the Study of Globalization, 2003.
- “U.S. Economic Sanctions Against China: Who Gets Hurt?” with H. Askari, H. Teegen, and J. Yang, GW CSG Occasional Paper CSGOP-03-12, GW Center for the Study of Globalization, 2003.
- “Economic Sanctions: Lessons from the Iranian Experience,”with H. Askari, H. Teegen, and J. Yang, Global Management Research Working Paper Series, 01-6 (2001).
Professional Studies and Reports
- “International Clean Coal Technology Monitor,” (draft) prepared for U.S. Department of Energy (August 1995).
- “Renewable Technologies,” with Roger LeGassie, in Energy Technology Strategy Study, prepared for International Energy Agency (1993).
- “A Biofuels Transportation Program Cost-Sharing Strategy: Building Success Today for Tomorrow’s Expanding Biofuels Market,” prepared for National Renewable Energy Laboratory (July 1994).
- “International GHG Trends and Policies,” prepared for National Renewable Energy Laboratory (July 1995).
- “Removing Leaded Gasoline from International Markets,” prepared for Alliance to End Childhood Lead Poisoning (June 1995).
- “Export Plan for Gas and Oil Field Equipment, Technology and Services,” prepared for U.S. Department of Energy (August 1994).
- “Calculating Growth: Software Used for Financial Analysis in Economic Development,” Washington, D.C., Government Finance Research Center (1990).
- “State Competitive Research Grant Programs: A Users’ Guide,” Washington, D.C., National Governors’ Association (1990).
- “State Competitive Research Grant Programs: A Profile,” Washington, D.C., National Governors’ Association (1989).
- “Technology and the Future of Manufacturing,” Washington, D.C., Coalition of Northeastern Governors (1988).
Current Papers and Books In Progress
- “Business and Peace Activities: The Case of Post-Conflict Cyprus” (submitted to Business Ethics European Review (revise and resubmit).
- Governing Through Partnerships and Networks, with Jed Kee, (book manuscript submitted to Jossey-Bass).
- “Trusted Partners,” with Tim Fort and John Katsos (submitted to California Management Review).
- “From Certification to Supply Chain Strategy: A framework for Enhancing Tropical Forest Governance,” with Karen Mo (submitted to Organization and Environment).
- Member, Editorial Board, Globalizations, journal published by Taylor and Francis
- Founding Member, Steering Committee, Globalization Studies Network
- Member, Steering Committee, GW European Union Research Center
- Member, Steering Committee, GW Institute for International Tourism
- Advisor, Global Network on Neglected Tropical Diseases Control
- Co-Leader, U.S. Institute of Peace/ICR Task Force on Business and Peace