Professor of Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Department: Strategic Management & Public Policy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (202) 994-2536
- Office: Funger Hall, Ste. 609 • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC 20052
- BS, ChE, Iowa State University, 1986
- MBA, Boston University, 1992
- DBA, Boston University, 1997
Dr. Jennifer J. Griffin, Professor, Strategic Management & Public Policy at The George Washington University School of Business (Washington, DC), is also the Director, Global Strategies Program, GW’s Institute for Corporate Responsibility and former Department Chair. Engaged at all levels of learning (e.g., executive, doctoral, graduate, and undergraduate) Jenn examines how firms continuously co-create value with their stakeholders. Jenn teaches corporate strategy, business & public policy, corporate impacts, and corporate social responsibility in-person, online and through annual workshops with executives from Australia, the U.S., India and Chile.
Author of a forthcoming Cambridge University Press book, Managing Corporate Impacts: Co-Creating Value, numerous case studies, recipient of a 2015 Ave Tucker Research Fellowship, and a former Aspen Institute-Wye fellow, Jenn was the first School of Business faculty member awarded a GW Institute of Public Policy Research (GWIPP) award and has earned GW University Facilitating Fund (UFF) award. Her research published in books and has appeared in Public Administration Review, Business & Society, Group & Organization Management, Business & Politics, Corporate Reputation Review, Journal of Public Affairs, & Public Relations Quarterly, among others. Jenn is on the editorial review board of Business & Society, and Business Ethics: An European Review, among others.
Seven times in the past nine years (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009 and 2007) she was nominated for the Peter J. Vaill Award for Best Professor in the GWSB doctoral program. In 2013, a co-authored paper on Issue Materiality and Stakeholders was awarded the Best Conference Proposal Prize at the Strategic Management Society. Her co-authored article, ‘Corporate Social Performance and Corporate Financial Performance: Twenty-five years of Incomparable Research’ won the Business & Society Best Paper Award in 20 years from the International Association for Business and Society (IABS) and remains among the most cited article in the journal. Jenn received the GW School of Business highest teaching award, the Teaching Excellence Award, was nominated by students for the National Inspire Integrity Teaching Award, and awarded numerous other teaching awards.
Jenn has been an invited speaker: Universidade de Sao Paulo (Sao Paulo, Brazil), Tampere University of Technology (Finland), University of Bath (UK), University of South Australia (Adelaide), University of Nottingham (UK), Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore), University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA), University of Saint Joseph-Kaslik (Lebanon), University of Delaware, University of Denver, Deakin University (Melbourne), Public Affairs Council (DC), Canadian Conference Board, Australian Centre for Corporate Public Affairs Institute (Melbourne), American Assoc. of Chambers of Commerce of Latin America (AACCLA, Mexico City), Larson & Toubro Ltd. (Pune, India), Issues Management Council (VA), and the Washington Campus among others.
Jenn is currently past Division Chair, of Academy of Management’s-Social Issues in Management (SIM) Division; board member of Keep America Beautiful (KAB); faculty advisor for the GW Certificate in Responsible Management (CRM) program and the GWSB-Net Impact group; former executive director of the International Association for Business & Society (IABS); past-president of GW-Beta Gamma Sigma (national business honorary); a member of Tau Beta Pi (national engineering honorary), and former Trustee, Foundation for Public Affairs.
Jenn, formerly an engineer with General Electric, Texas Instruments and 3M Company had assignments in the US and The Netherlands after receiving her B.Sci degree from ISU earned a MBA and Doctorate in Strategy & Policy from Boston University. Jenn and her husband are certified (currently, inactive) Commonwealth of Virginia firefighters and enjoy a good conversation with good food and their two teenage sons.
- Citation Count, 10th January 2016, Google Scholar: 2528 citations with 1289 citations since 2011, h-index is 12.
- Griffin, J.J. 2016. Managing Corporate Impacts: Co-Creating Value. Cambridge University Press.
- Clark, C., Bryant, A. & Griffin, J.J. forthcoming. Firm engagement and social issue salience, consensus and contestation, Business & Society. An earlier version of the paper was the Winner, Strategic Management Society Best Conference Proposal Prize, Glascow, Scotland (ABS 3). DOI: 10.1177/0007650315613966. Impact Factor 1.936 and is ranked 31 among 118 Business Journals from Thomson Reuters (ABS 3).
- Griffin, J.J. forthcoming. Corporate impacts: Focused on connecting stakeholders. In Sharma, R. R., Csuri, M. and Ogunyemi, K (eds.), Managing for Responsibility: A Textbook for an Alternative Paradigm, the United Nations Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) Collection, Business Expert Press.
- Tanega, S. S., Griffin, J. J., Sharma, R. R., Taneja, P. K., Davidson, D. K. & Ray, R. S. forthcoming. A multi-stakeholder approach to understanding success: Empirical tests in Indian businesses in Aras, G., and Ingley, C. (eds.) Corporate Behavior and Sustainability: Doing Well by Being Good, Farnham, UK: Ashgate Gower Publishers.
- Griffin, J. J., Bryant, A. & Koerber, C.P. 2015. Corporate responsibility and employee relations: From external pressure to action. Group & Organization Management, 20(3): 378-404. (ABS 3).
- Griffin, J.J. & Prakash, A. 2014. Corporate responsibility: Initiatives and mechanisms. Business & Society, 53: 465-482. One of TOP Five most read articles in 2014 and one of TOP Forty most read articles through October 2015, updated monthly. Impact Factor 1.936 and is ranked 31 among 118 Business Journals from Thomson Reuters (ABS 3).
- Trivedi, S. & Griffin, J.J. 2013. You know it when you see it: Rothaermel’s Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases, 1st Edition. Journal of Business Ethics Education, 10.
- Prakash, A. & Griffin, J. J. 2012. Corporate responsibility, multinationals, and nation-states. Business & Politics, 14(3): 1-10. Australian Business Dean’s Council (ABDC) A level journal.
- Snyder, S.A. & Griffin, J. J. 2012. Branch Banking and Trust: Community banking based on core values – Can it survive? In Heiko Spitzeck, Michael Pirson and Claus Dierksmeier (eds.) Banking with Integrity: The Winners of the Financial Crisis? Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave-MacMillan.
Editor, Special Issues
- Griffin, J. J. & Prakash, A. 2014. (eds.) Corporate responsibility: Initiatives & mechanisms. Business & Society, 53 (4,5): 465-746. Impact Factor 1.936 and is ranked 31 among 118 Business Journals from Thomson Reuters (ABS 3).
- Prakash, A. & Griffin, J. J. (eds.) 2012. Corporate responsibility, multinationals, and nation states. Business & Politics, 14(3). Australian Business Dean’s Council (ABDC) A level journal.