The Dwight D. Eisenhower Research Professor of Tourism Policy
Chair of the International Institute for Tourism Studies
- Department: Management
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (202) 994-7087
- Office: Funger Hall, Suite 301-U • 2201 G St. NW • Washington, DC 20052
- Ph.D. Tourism Planning & Development, Cornell University, 1993
- M.A. Tourism Research & Planning, 1990
- M.P.S. Hospitality Management, Cornell University, 1984
- B.A. Medieval & Renaissance Art History, University of Colorado, 1978
- Bakker, M. and Messerli, H. “Inclusive growth versus pro-poor growth: Implications for tourism development” Tourism and Hospitality Research. 2016. p 1-8. Sage Publications (UK)
- Christie, Iain; Fernandes, Eneida; Messerli, Hannah; Twining-Ward, Louise. 2013. Tourism in Africa: Harnessing tourism for growth and improved livelihoods. Washington DC; World Bank. Available at http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/723511468102894381/Tourism-in-Africa-harnessing-tourism-for-growth-and-improved-livelihoods
- Blanke, J., Browne, C., Garcia, A. and Messerli, H. 2011. “Assessing Africa’s Travel & Tourism Competitiveness in the Wake of the Global Economic Crisis”, chapter in Africa Competitiveness Report 2011 published by World Economic Forum, African Development Bank and World Bank.
- Messerli, Hannah, “Sustainable Tourism Development: Tomorrow’s Challenge Today” and “Ecotourism: Tourism in the Tone of Green” in Travel and Tourism; An Industry Primer by Paul S. Beiderman with Jun Lai, Jukka Laitamaki, Hannah R. Messerli, Peter D. Nyheim and Stanley C. Plog, Pearson/Prentice Hall, NJ: 2007.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “US Honeymoon Travel, 2007” Market Research (online report), Mintel International Group, Ltd., Chicago, IL; October 2007.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “Myanmar Country Report,” Travel and Tourism Industry Reports, Mintel International Group, Ltd., London, UK; April 2005.
- Messerli, Hannah R. and Martine Bakker. “Emerging Destinations-International: Mongolia,” Travel and Tourism Industry Reports, Mintel International Group, Ltd., London, UK; August 2004.
- World Bank Africa Vice Presidential Unit Team Award
- Teaching Excellence Award, New York University
- Fulbright Senior Specialist (Tanzania)
- GWU Tourism and Hospitality Management Distinguished Alumni Award
- Statler Foundation Fellowship
- Aga Khan University, Graduate School of Leisure and Tourism Development Group
- Adventure Travel and Trade Association