Donald E. Hawkins
Eisenhower Professor of Tourism Policy
Professor Emeritus of Tourism Studies
Research Professor of Medicine
- Department: Management
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-994-7087
- Office: Funger Hall, 301
- BA, King's College, 1958
- MA, Lehigh University, 1962
- EdD, New York University, 1967
- Hawkins, D.E., Ruddy, J & Ardah, A. (2012): Reforming Higher Education: The Case of Jordan’s Hospitality and Tourism Sector, Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 12:1, 105-117.
- Levy, S. E. & Hawkins, D. E. (2009). Peace through Tourism: Commerce Based Principles and Practices. Journal of Business Ethics, March , Volume 89, Issue 4: pp 569-58
- Hawkins, D. E., Chang, B., & Warnes, K. (2009). A Comparison of the National Geographic Stewardship Scorecard Ratings by Experts and Stakeholders for Selected World Heritage Destinations. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 17 (1), 20.
- Hawkins, D. E. & Calnan, L. (2009). A Comparative Study of the Sustainability of Donor-Supported Tourism Clusters in Developing Economies. Tourism Recreation Research, 34 (3).
- Hawkins, D. E. & Mann, S. (2007). The World Bank’s Role in Tourism Development. Annals of Tourism Research: A Social Sciences Journal, 9 (1), 115-132.
- Hawkins, D. E. (1958) Founding Editor -Journal of Leisure Research, National Recreation and Park Association.
- Hawkins, D. E., Wood, M. E., & Bitman, S. (1995). The Ecolodge Sourcebook for Planners and Developers. , North Bennington, Vermont: The Ecotourism Society.
- Hawkins, D. E. & Buse, S. (1994). Ecotourism: A Resource Book for Planners and Managers. , North Bennington, Vermont: The Ecotourism Society.
- 2005: Themis Foundation Science Fellows Award, Andorra, April 5, 2005 WTO.
- 2003: Outstanding Faculty Award, George Washington University School of Business and Public Management Board of Advisors.
- 2003: Ulysses Prize, Madrid, Spain, June 3, 2003 World Tourism Organization.
- Special Advisor to the UNWTO Secretary General
- Chairman: Solimar International
- Chairman: SAVE Travel Alliance
- Chairman: Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance
- Sustainable tourism consulting activities, including policy development, strategic planning and technical assistance in the Republic of Georgia, Dominican Republic, Jordan, Sri Lanka, Bulgaria, Portugal, Spain, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Montenegro, Serbia, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Egypt, Jamaica, Venezuela, Argentina, Bermuda, Panama, Philippines, Canada and the United States.