Associate Dean for Research & Doctoral Studies;
Associate Professor of Accountancy
- Department: Accountancy
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (202) 994-6195
- Office: Funger Hall, Suite 612 • 2201 G St NW • Washington, DC 20052
- BS, Central Michigan University,1986
- PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo, 2000
- Peter Vaill Outstanding Doctoral Educator award
George Washington University School of Business, 2015
- Cornelius E. Tierney/Ernst & Young Research Award
Association of Government Accountants, 2014
- Deloitte Wildman Medal
American Accounting Association, 2010
- Outstanding Research Paper
American Accounting Association GNP section, 2007 and 2000
- Policy Research Scholar
George Washington Institute of Public Policy, 2009-2010
- Undergraduate Teaching Award
University of Oregon, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Journal of Government and Nonprofit Accounting (JOGNA), 2010-present
- Accounting Horizons, 2006-2009
- “Compensation design and political risk: The case of city managers,” with Susan Kulp and Ying Li Compton, Review of Accounting Studies, 2016, forthcoming.
- “Accounting Restatements, Governance, and Municipal Debt Financing,” with Bill Baber, Kevin Rich, and Jean Zhang, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2013.
- “The Role of Technical Expertise in Firm Governance Structure: Evidence From Chief Financial Officer Contractual Incentives,” with Steve Matsunaga and Eric Yeung, Strategic Management Journal, 2011.
- “Why Do Cities Hoard Cash? Determinants and Implications of Municipal Cash Holdings,” The Accounting Review, 2009.
- “Consequences of GAAP Disclosure Regulation: Evidence from Municipal Debt Issues,” with Bill Baber, The Accounting Review, 2008.
- “Financial Disclosure and Bond Insurance,” with Kevin Sachs and Charles Trzcinka, The Journal of Law and Economics, 2004.
- “The Effects of GAAP Regulation and Bond Market Interaction on Local Government Disclosure,” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 2004.