Master of Science in Government Contracts
GW’s M.S. in Government Contracts offers an innovative curriculum that combines both the core principles of government procurement law and business. The program can be completed in as little as sixteen months, with courses being taken evenings or on weekends. Students must complete thirty-six (36) credit hours as follows:
- Eight (8) required core business courses totaling eighteen (18) credit hours,
- Three (3) required government procurement law courses totaling eight (8) credit hours,
- at least two (2) additional government procurement law courses from a list of selective options, totaling at least six (6) credit hours, and
- the capstone course, a four (4) credit hour course.
Courses may be taken in any sequence, except Financial Markets (which is a pre-requisite to Financial Management), and the capstone course which must be completed last.
All courses are offered at Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, D.C., and most core business courses are offered online.
Courses that are 2-4 credits are 14 weeks long, while courses that are 1.5 credits are 7 weeks long, offered in either the first or second half of a semester. For more detailed descriptions of each course, please see Course Descriptions and Pre-requisites.
Core Business Curriculum (18 credit hours)
- MBAd 6261 Organizations and Leadership (1.5 cr.)
- DNSC 6202 Mathematics and Statistics for Management (3.0 cr.)
- MBAd 6211 Financial Accounting (3.0 cr.)
- MBAd 6233 Financial Markets 1 (1.5 cr.)
- MBAd 6234 Financial Management 1 (1.5 cr.)
- MBAd 6242 Microeconomics for the World Economy (1.5 cr.)
- DNSC 6261 Introduction to Project and Program Management (3.0 cr.)
- MKTg 6290 Marketing and the Government Marketplace"(3.0 cr.)
Government Contracts Curriculum - Required (8 credit hours)
- Law 6502 Formation of Government Contracts (3.0 cr.)
- Law 6503 Performance of Government Contracts (3.0 cr.)
- Law 6506 Government Contracts Cost and Pricing (2.0 cr.)
Government Contracts Curriculum - Selectives (6 credit hours)
- Law 6508 Comparative Public Procurement (3.0 cr.)
- Law 6512 Government Procurement of Intellectual Property Seminar (2.0 cr.)
- Law 6509-10 Government Contracts Seminar: State and Local
Procurement (2.0 cr.)
- Law 6509-21 Government Contracts Seminar: Anti-Corruption in Procurement (3.0 cr.)
- Law 6509-10 Government Contracts Seminar: Public Values & Foreign Affairs Outsourcing (2.0 cr.)
Capstone (4 credit hours)
- Government Contracts Capstone: Research and Writing Project (4.0 cr.)