Applying for Funding

STEP 1: Obtaining Initial Funding

1. Rates: Post 9/11 GI Bill

Use the resources online at to compare your funding options. The maximum amount posted for the 2013 year was $19, 198.31 paid out to the school for tuition and fees. You may also be eligible for funding to help with books and supplies, a monthly housing allowance, and some may also be eligible for an additional rural benefit: ( A rural benefit is: A one time payment of 4500 that may be payable to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas if they reside in a country with 6 persons or less per square mile (as determined by the most recent decennial census) and either: 1) physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution or 2) travel by air to physically attend an educational institution if no other land-based transportation exists.)

To find out about all of these funding options and and what you are eligible for, please visit the VA benefits website.

2. Applying for Post 9/11 GI Benefits:

1)    Collect the following Information:

  • Dates and service status for each period of military service
  • The number of months of eligibility remaining for benefits under one or more VA education programs
  • Documents:
  1. DD214 Certificate of release or discharge from active duty for most recent period of active duty
  2. Transcripts for all periods of education after high school
  3. Kicker contracts (the DOD may be able to provide this should you be unable to locate a copy of the contract)

2)    Apply online using VONAPP

STEP 2: Applying for Remaining Funding

1. Yellow Ribbon Application

The yellow ribbon program helps cover tuition costs that your GI bill will not cover. This is the gap between the national maximum and the cost of tuition the university provides.

1)    Eligibility:

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).

Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

2)    Yellow Ribbon qualified graduate students will receive:

  • GI Bill Base Benefit: $19,198.31 per admitted YRP-qualified graduate student per year (this was the price quoted for 2013. Please make sure to verify on the VA benefits site); plus
  • Yellow Ribbon Program Benefit:
    • GW shall provide up to $12,000 per YRP-qualified graduate per year, not to exceed the net cost of tuition, plus
    • The VA shall provide funds to match GW up to 50% of the difference between the student’s net tuition benefit (which includes the GI Base Bill Benefit) and the total cost of tuition and required fees.  At GW, this means that the VA will match up to $12,000
    • IN TOTAL this could mean students would be able to obtain up to an additional $24,000/year in tuition assistance. Coupled with the maximum allowed from their GI-bill this equals = $43,138.31/year in tuition assistance alone.
    • The total benefit should, depending on program and course of study, enable YRP-eligible graduate students to attend GW at a significant discount.
    • Net tuition and required fees only are included in these educational benefits.

3)    Application Procedure

  1. Students should be sure to make an informed decision concerning their choice of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.  There are typically multiple educational benefit choices for individuals with military experience.  It is our understanding that once selected, benefit choices are irrevocable.  For further information on benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  2. Eligible students, upon admittance to GW, should fill out the GW Request for Participation Form (obtained through Gweb) and must submit confirmation of their eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program to the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the student’s academic coursework. For many programs, this deadline is by August 7, 2014 for the fall term and December 15, 2014 for the spring term.  Such confirmation may be in the form of a U.S. Department of Veteran Services Certificate of Eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  GW processes the Request for Participation forms on a first-come, first-served basis.  Students may scan and e-mail, fax, or drop this form off at Colonial Central, and a GW Veteran Services representative will contact the student to confirm receipt of the form. Failure to submit this confirmation in a timely manner will result in the student’s removal from the Yellow Ribbon Program participation list.

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 2.26.39 PM

  1. Once registered, students must, each semester in which they are enrolled, complete a GW Request for Certification Form and submit to the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services.
  2. For VA certification purposes, students must contact the GW Office of Military and Veteran Student Services if they add or drop courses after their initial registration and as a result, the number of their credit hours changes.   A change in the number of credit hours will require adjustments in your enrollment certification for benefits and could also affect your student account.

**NOTE: If you cannot submit your Yellow Ribbon Program Request through Banweb, you can submit a paper copy of the Yellow Ribbon Program Request Form by scanning and emailing it to our office or bringing a copy of the form directly to our office.