The mission of GW VALOR (Veterans Accelerate Learning Opportunities and Rewards program) is to position the George Washington University to be known as the “University of Choice” for veterans, military service members, dependents, and survivors by being nationally recognized as a “Military and Veteran Friendly University”.
The George Washington University launched “Operation GW VALOR” on 18 May 2013 (Armed Forces Day). Operation GW VALOR is a comprehensive, collaborative, and unified effort amongst key stakeholders whereby GW student US Military members, their Families, and Veterans Accelerate Learning Opportunities & Rewards (VALOR).
Operation GW VALOR is spearheaded by Vice Admiral (ret) Melvin Williams, Jr., GW’s Associate Provost for Military and Veterans Affairs. In addition, Dr. Alfred Hamilton, a Lieutenant Colonel (ret) and an Assistant Professor, serves as a senior advisor and helps us develop our academic strategy.
Why Choose GW?
Because of what we believe:
GW’s Values (below) align with military service core values.
- Learning: We support opportunities for continuous development that maximize the potential of the individual and strengthen the University.
- Communication: We strive to share information and ideas in an open, consistent, and effective manner.
- Community: We strive to build a strong community in the service of our shared purpose and mission.
- Diversity: We embrace the unique contributions of all members of our community.
- Excellence: We commit ourselves to achieving the highest standards in all endeavors.
- Respect: We treat others with courtesy and dignity.
- Service: We embrace our responsibility to exceed the expectations of others who depend on our actions.
- Sustainability: We value and engage in sustainable practices that enhance current and future resources for our campus, our community, and our world.
- Teamwork: We encourage collaboration to meet common goals and produce a sense of shared responsibility.
Because of what we deliver:
- GW is ranked in the top categories for US colleges and universities; our graduates earn competitive salaries.
- GW VALOR innovative learning programs (online, in the classroom, and hybrid) are intended to accelerate learning opportunities for military members, veterans, and their families.
- GW’s quality learning locations include the Foggy Bottom Campus (main campus) and the Mount Vernon Campus both in Washington, DC; in Virginia at GW’s Virginia Science and Technology Campus (Ashburn, VA), and the Hampton Roads Center, Alexandria Center, and Arlington Center.
- GW VALOR rewards include (what we will continuously improve):
- Providing leading edge customer service.
- Streamlining Government Approvals and Student Tuition Assistance processes. GW student military, veterans, and families receive assistance from GW’s Office for Military and Veteran Services (led by a combat veteran).
- Providing Academic credits for Military Service, as appropriate.
- Providing Flexibility for Military Students- in view of potential deployments, military transfers, etc.
- Partnering with potential employers and students to enhance career opportunities.
Because of what we care about:
Military members, veterans, and families
- We take pride in the fact that our GW namesake was our nation’s first military Commander in Chief.
- GW has been selected as a Military Friendly university for the past several years.
- GW houses one of the Navy’s top Reserve Officer Training Command (ROTC) units.
- Effective April 2013, a Vice Admiral (ret) provides senior level day to day advocacy.
- GW has an active Student Veteran Organization of more than 1,000 students who are military members, veterans, and family members.
- GW has a proactive Alumni Veterans organization.