MTA | Degree Requirements
- MTA Curriculum
- Program Requirements
- Course Requirements
The Master of Tourism Administration program is 36 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks). Courses that are 1.5 credits are seven weeks in length and are offered either in the first or second half of a semester.
Students must successfully complete the following course and program requirements to be eligible for the Master of Tourism Administration degree.
- Complete one of four concentrations or an individualized plan of study (see list below).
- Achieve at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation.
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years.
Students must complete 36 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
Core Courses | 9 Credits*
- TSTD 6249 | Sustainable Destination Management | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6251 | Quantitative Applications in Tourism/Hospitality Management | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6270 | Tourism and Hospitality Management Research | 3 Credits
*Core courses may be waived based on previous academic coursework. See the MTA Core Course Waiver Policy for details.
Please note: Tourism and Hospitality is used as a common term in course titles, but projects and case studies from all concentration areas are included.
Students must choose and complete one of the four concentrations or an individualized plan of study listed below:
Event & Meeting Management | 9 Credits
- TSTD 6276 | Risk Management for Event & Meeting Industry | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6277 | Event Management | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6278 | Conference and Exposition Management | 3 Credits
Hospitality Management | 12 Credits
- TSTD 6220 | International Hotel Management | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6221 | Hotel/Resort Market Analyses | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6290 | Relationship Management in Hospitality | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6296 | Travel Information Management System | 3 Credits
Sport Management | 12 Credits
- TSTD 6264 | Sport Marketing | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6265 | Sport Law: Contracts and Negotiations | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6266 | Sport and Event Facility Management | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6267 | Sport Media and Communications | 3 Credits
Sustainable Tourism Management | 9 Credits
- TSTD 6280 | Management of Destination Organizations | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6280 | Tourism Policy & Planning | 3 Credits
- TSTD 6263 | Destination Marketing | 3 Credits
Individualized Studies | 24 Credits
Students may plan an alternate concentration with specialized focus areas. See your academic advisor for more information.
Capstone | 6 Credits
Students must choose to either complete the Practicum or the Thesis option.