MAccy | Degree Requirements
The Master of Accountancy program is 30 credit hours long. Three-credit courses are a full semester long (14 weeks). Courses that are 1.5 credits are seven weeks in length and are offered either in the first or second half of a semester.
Students must successfully complete the following course and program requirements to be eligible for the Masters of Accountancy degree.
- Complete 21 credits in accounting.
- Achieve at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the time of graduation.
- Complete all degree requirements within five (5) years.
Students must complete 30 credits of the following coursework to be eligible for graduation.
- Financial Accounting | 3 Credits
GWSB Equivalent ACCY 2001 or ACCY 6101
- Managerial Accounting | 1.5 Credits
GWSB Equivalent ACCY 2002
- Micro or Macroeconomics | 1.5 – 3 Credits
GWSB Equivalent MBAD 6242 or MBAD 6243 or ACCY 6900: Macroeconomics for the Global Economy
- Statistics | 1.5 Credits
GWSB Equivalent STAT 1051
*MAccy prerequisite courses may be waived for students who have completed courses at an AACSB accredited institution, earning a grade of B- or better. Courses must have been taken within five years prior to the first semester of enrollment in the program. Students must consult their academic advisor for GWSB equivalents.
Core Courses | 15 Credits**
- ACCY 6201 | Cases in Management Accounting I | 1.5 Credits
- ACCY 6202 | Cases in Management Accounting II | 1.5 Credits – ACCY 6201***
- ACCY 6104 | Intermediate Accounting I | 3 Credits
- ACCY 6105 | Intermediate Accounting II | 3 Credits – ACCY 6104***
- ACCY 6301 | Contemporary Auditing Theory | 3 Credits
- MBAD 6235 | Finance 3 Credits
** Core courses (with the exception of ACCY 6201 and ACCY 6202) may be waived with substitution based on previous undergraduate and graduate academic coursework. Students will have their official undergraduate transcript automatically reviewed for waiver eligibility. Courses must be completed with a B- or better at an AACSB accredited school and must have been completed within five years prior to the first semester of enrollment in the program. See the program for more details.
*** Indicates a pre-requisite course which must be completed prior to taking this course.
Accountancy Electives | 9 Credits
Students are required to complete nine credits of graduate level courses within the Department of Accountancy.
General Electives | 6 Credits
Students are required to complete six credits of graduate level courses offered at the School of Business or another GWU School with approval from either the Administrative or Faculty Director.
Elective courses must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of courses taken at the GW Law School where courses are letter graded and then converted to a CR on the graduate transcript.