Sports Management Concentration
MBA concentrations have been replaced by graduate certificates beginning in the Fall 2017 semester. Students who matriculate into their MBA program starting in the Fall 2017 semester and are interested in specializing should review the graduate certificates available and reach out to their assigned academic advisor with any questions.
Students who matriculated prior to the Fall 2017 semester may complete either a graduate certificate or concentration by completing coursework as outlined by the academic department.
Sports is big business – and as with all business, the proper understanding and application of proven practices can mean the difference between profitability and loss, and success and failure. The Sports Management concentration guides MBA candidates seeking a successful career in the business of sports through the ins and outs of this increasingly complex – and lucrative – industry. The concentration consists of required courses in sports marketing and sports law (contracts and negotiates), and a choice of electives ranging from sports media and communications to sport and event facility management to issues in global sport governance.
Things to consider:
- Students must be able to attend classes on-campus to complete the Sports Management concentration.
- Elective courses are scheduled based on faculty availability and student demand and are not guaranteed to be offered every semester or every academic year.
- Special Topics courses (typically numbered 6290) are experimental offerings that, depending on demand, may or may not become permanent offerings.
- Students who wish to satisfy a MBA concentration elective with a course that is not listed below must submit a Petition for Elective Credit form.
Students must complete 12 unique credits to complete a concentration.
Required Courses (6 Credits)
Electives (6 Credits)
- DNSC 6261 Intro to Project and Program Management (3 cr.)
- DNSC 6279 Data Mining (3 cr.)
- DNSC 6290 Sports Analytics (1.5 cr.)
- DNSC 6290 Web and Database Analytics (1.5 cr.)
- MGT 6254 Negotiations and Labor Relations (3 cr.)
- MGT 6290 Business of eSports (3 cr.)
- MGT 6290 Global Sports and Entrepreneurship (3 cr.)
- MKTG 6248 Advertising and Sales (3 cr.)
- MKTG 6252 Digital Marketing (3 cr.)
- MKTG 6290 Social Media Marketing (3 cr.)
- PPPA 6031 Governing and Managing Nonprofit Organizations (3 cr.)
- PPPA 6032 Managing Fundraising & Philanthropy (3 cr.)
- PPPA 6033 Non-Profit Enterprise (3 cr.)
- TSTD 6266 Sport and Event Facility Management (3 cr.)
- TSTD 6267 Sports Media and Communications (3 cr.)
- TSTD 6277 Event Management (3 cr.)
- TSTD 6279 Event Entertainment Management (3 cr.)
- TSTD 6280 Advanced Workshop (1.5 cr.)
- TSTD 6282 China: Major League Baseball and Globalization (3 cr.)**
- TSTD 6282 International Experience: Olympic Games/World Cup (3 cr.)**