Government Contracts Concentration
MBA concentrations have been replaced by graduate certificates beginning in the Fall 2017 semester. Students who matriculate into their MBA program starting in the Fall 2017 semester and are interested in specializing should review the graduate certificates available and reach out to their assigned academic advisor with any questions.
Students who matriculated prior to the Fall 2017 semester may complete either a graduate certificate or concentration by completing coursework as outlined by the academic department.
Students selecting the Government Contracts concentration attend classes at GW Law School, as part of the world’s leading government procurement law program. This concentration provides students with a solid foundation in public procurement laws, regulations, policies, and best practices within U.S. federal, state, and local governments, and in foreign government procurement practices. The 12-credit concentration includes required courses on the formation of government contracts and the performance of government contracts. Students also select from courses in marketing, pricing, negotiations, intellectual property, anti-corruption, and international business and foreign contracts.
Things to consider:
- Students can complete the Government Contracts concentration both online and on-campus.
- Elective courses are scheduled based on faculty availability and student demand and are not guaranteed to be offered every semester or every academic year.
- Special Topics courses (typically numbered 6290) are experimental offerings that, depending on demand, may or may not become permanent offerings.
- Students who wish to satisfy a MBA concentration elective with a course that is not listed below must submit a Petition for Elective Credit form.
Students must complete 12 unique credits to complete a concentration. Courses offered online are noted with an *.
Required Courses (6 Credits)
- GCON 6502 Formation – Government Contracts (3 cr.)*
- GCON 6503 Performance – Government Contracts (3 cr.)*
Electives (6 Credits)
- GCON 6505 Marketing for Government Markets (3 cr.)*
- GCON 6506 Government Contracts Cost and Pricing (3 cr.)*
- GCON 6508 Comparative Public Procurement (3 cr.)
- GCON 6509 State and Local Procurement (3 cr.)
- GCON 6510 Foreign Government Contracting (3 cr.)
- GCON 6511 Federal Grants Law (3 cr.)
- GCON 6512 Government Procurement of Intellectual Property (3 cr.)
- GCON 6513 Procurement Reform (3 cr.)
- GCON 6514 Anti-Corruption and Compliance (3 cr.)*
- IBUS 6202 Business and the State: Privatization and Public-Private Partnerships (3 cr.)**
- IBUS 6202 Regional Strategies for Multinationals (3 cr.)
- IBUS 6297 Business and the State: Privatization and Public-Private Partnerships (3 cr.)**
- IBUS 6297 International Management Experience (3 cr.)
- MGT 6254 Negotiations and Labor Relations (3 cr.)